Saturday, June 20, 2020

I Stained the New Back Door



Today I pushed myself to do something new  and stained the unfinished replacement back door.  It was pretty easy, and I actually enjoyed doing it.  I am not that confident with painting.  In the past I have not been happy with my work.  It looked amateurish and there were some drips.  I think the key is to not put too much material on the brush.  You  can always go back over it.  I also dabbed the heavier spots with a rag.  That worked well.

I completed one coat on the front and the back.  This door is a reproduction of the original one.  I really love it.  It goes with the house.  I have some sealer that I will apply after it dries thoroughly.  I may apply another coat of stain first, since there is plenty left in the container. 

It is a huge relief to have this done.  I had been procrastinating on it, and that made me feel guilty and upset.  Doing what needs to be done is so healthy for our minds and spirits.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.    

24 comments:

  1. Your door looks great, Stephanie! Good on you for doing it yourself. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meg. I am so pleased. It was much easier than I expected.

      Delete
  2. Procrastination makes me feel upset too. There is such a relief in getting something done which we have been afraid to do. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was afraid, emw. It is a huge relief, like you said.

      Delete
  3. It's a beautiful door and you did a good job staining it. I love the pink exterior of your home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless. They found it at a place in the San Fernando Valley. Those doors were really popular on the older homes. I love it. Glad you like the pink exterior, so do I!

      Delete
  4. It looks great, Stephenie and the glass will let in so much light. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, Jules. I'm going to put up a curtain for privacy. I will use a light color, so the sunlight can still stream through the fabric.

      Delete
  5. A great job. I love the style of the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, mm. The termite company found it for me. I didn't want to put up an aluminum door. This one is perfect.

      Delete
  6. Oh, that looks nice! It feels so great to get a job done that you have been putting off! I have a LOT of those jobs to do and must make a list so I can get busy checking them off (maybe?!?)! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ellen. I need to make a list, too. There is always something with a house, but it is fun to improve it.

      Delete
  7. It looks wonderful! Great job. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mereknits. There is a drip on the front, but I plan to cover it with a second coat of stain.

      Delete
  8. You did a great job. The door looks beautiful. I like the glass top portion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! These small details make a difference. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a great job on the door. I love the style. I, like you, fret when I have a project hanging over my head.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done to stain the door yourself, it looks nice. An extra coat of stain sounds like the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terra. There's plenty left in the can. May as well use it.

      Delete
  12. I so agree about doing what needs to be done being good for us. Otherwise things become, for me anyway, like something that gets harder and harder to do, and it's all in my head. A lot of people I know who paint (not like artist painting) for a living, are calm and happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, swami. I think painting opens the heart.

      Delete