Thursday, June 25, 2020

Reading About Catalina Island



This morning I received two lovely photos of Catalina in my email box  from my friend Anita.  She comments here regularly.  It turns out she and her husband stayed at Mt. Ada Bed and Breakfast in 2013.  It's under new ownership now.  These pictures show the breathtaking view from their balcony.  She gave me permission to use them on my blog.  What an enchanting place!   It seems to have such an old Hollywood feel. 



It's exciting to find getaways near you  that are such jewels.  Long Beach is just an hour's drive from my house.  From there, it's a twenty mile trip on the Catalina Express to the island.  I read a lovely book about living there today called, Living In Avalon:What It's Like to Live on Catalina Island.  It's by Tiffanie Edwards.  I ordered the Kindle version on Amazon.  It instantly appeared on the Kindle that I inherited from my mom.  As my dad said, "She used that thing every day."  (especially at the end of her life.)  It was a quick and enjoyable read, and put me in the best mood!  I think planning a vacation and looking forward to it is half the fun.  How about you?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.


20 comments:

  1. It is a beautiful view! (So nice of Anita to send those). My husband loves his kindle. I like actual books. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like books, too, Andrea. I actually read this one on my desktop. I like having the large screen and large print. It makes me feel better if I don't waste paper. (although I love library books.)

      Delete
  2. It does look like a lovely place to visit. You'll have to take lots of pictures to share with us, when you do go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! I agree, planing a vacation is so much fun.
    Whenever I travel to a new place I read about its history in advance. And try to find good independently run restaurants in the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I have been doing, Nil. The book mentions some restaurants where the locals eat. The hotel has a butler's pantry with beer, wine, and snacks. I am looking forward to it.

      Delete
  4. It looks really lovely and you will have a fantastic time, I am sure.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. That is my intention. What a setting!

      Delete
  5. Oh wow. That place looks stunning. How long will you stay when you book? It will give you a lovely break to look forward to and heaven knows, we all need something to look forward to right now

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, I will be staying for two nights. The second night is 50% off. I plan to arrive in the morning, and have lunch at the hotel. They have an excellent restaurant with outdoor seating.

      Delete
  6. Totally agree the planning of the holiday is as much fun as the actual holiday. Looks idyllic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it, mm? I am so looking forward to going there.

      Delete
  7. I am so pleased you liked the pictures. I love the planning phase of vacations! We are trying to arrange a trip to visit our youngest son and his wife whom we have not seen in almost 2 years. Keeping our fingers crossed that between his schedule and travel restrictions being eased we will be able to go in October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it all works out for you, Anita. We are in the right state to have to stay local. There are so many gorgeous places to explore...

      Delete
  8. Hi Stephanie. Having issues commenting on other blogs. I tried last night on my phone so if this is a duplicate just delete:-) Catalina Island is gorgeous! If you do go, I would also recommend the island tour on their "bus" - rather like a large golf cart. There are so many bits of trivia about the island that I just found fascinating. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks LL. I saw a video of that tour on Youtube. It looks very entertaining. I'm glad you got to see Catalina Island. It seems like a very special place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks stunning there and yes, I definitely think half the fun of travel is in the planning and anticipation. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks an amazing place, Stephanie. It does remind me too of Capri which I visited so many years ago now. Planning a holiday, knowing one lies ahead, is a lovely joy to look forward to. We feel this way every year as we have our island holiday, to the same beaitiful place we have been visiting for more than twenty years, to look forward to all year. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love Capri, Meg. I was there last May. Your island sounds like the perfect getaway.

      Delete