Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Less Stuff

another lovely front garden and cabin in Wrightwood


After bagging things up for the termite tenting, I realized that I had accumulated some clutter.  I am conscientious  about using leftovers, yet still found some small, smelly jars of unrecognizable liquid pushed to  the back of the fridge. What a relief it was to get it all cleaned out and organized. 


The workers finished replacing a board on the chicken coop, and they artfully hung the new back door.  It looks just like the original, without the termite damage.  (which was severe.)   I had the gas man come to relight all of the appliances.  I had to hire a plumber replace the original gas line, because it contained a small leak.


baby persimmon in the backyard orchard

Everything is now working again, and I heaved a huge sigh of relief over  having the termites gone.  Next, I need to stain the door and replace the front fence, which is sagging.   The cottage feels much happier and brighter.   Home improvement is so rewarding.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.    

18 comments:

  1. It's a relief when repairs are finished isn't it. Do you get much of a crop of Persimmons and do you eat them fresh or do you preserve them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is, Cherie. I eat the persimmons fresh. They are incredibly sweet and delicious.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Sounds like it's coming along nicely. It's such a peace-of-mind to have things maintained and in good condition. I don't think I would always have said that;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, LL. It's a huge relief. There is still more work to do...

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you had quite a few things done to your cottage, Stephenie. Yes, regular maintenance and upkeep is important, isn't it? I have a bad habit of procrastinating...

    Ooh, persimmons! May I ask what variety you are growing? I love the term, "backyard orchard". :) You are inspiring me to grow more fruit trees in my backyard to replace the ones that died.

    As for having less stuff - I am struggling to declutter! I find it so hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one in the photo is a Hachiya, Bless. I also planted a Fuyu in May. It's just a baby tree. Having more fruit trees in the backyard has given it a wonderful feel.

      Delete
  4. You must be so relieved to get all that work done.

    I plan to replace the back door frame soon. The door is in good condition, but the frame needs some fixing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, Nil. That's good that you are replacing your door frame. I am impressed with all of the work that you do yourself on your home.

      Delete
  5. It feels so good when everything is done and it's all in good order, isn't it, whether it be a new door or a clean and sorted fridge. It gives great satisfaction.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad all went well and normality is resuming in your wonderful cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It always makes me feel like a grown-up when I finish with home maintenance projects. Are you planning on staining the new door the same shade? I did a massive declutter 8 years ago when we laid new flooring and I am happy to say I have been fairly successful in not acquiring too much new stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Yes, that is the next project. I will probably pay someone to do it for me.

      Delete
  8. That's quite a bit of repair work, good that you had it all done. Now that I'm a renter, I always tell my landlords if things aren't good, as my brother-in-law has several rental proerties and he always wishes that people would tell him of the little things before they turn in to expensive big things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most landlords feel that way, swami. The cottage has needed fumigation for a very long time.

      Delete
  9. It must have been a relief to get the work completed. I need the ceiling re-plastering in the downstairs bathroom and I won't feel settled until it gets done. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Jules. I've got to get that back door stained. I will call my neighbor and ask if they are interested. They paint for a living.

      Delete