Wednesday, October 7, 2020

A Magical Getaway To Catalina, California

I just returned from a lovely holiday at the Wrigley Mansion.  It sits on the gorgeous island of Catalena, California.  The inn has been renamed Mt. Ada.  The classy historical charm of this comfortable bed and breakfast makes it a memorable treat. 



At 6:00 a.m. I dropped Lula off at the dog camp.  It was still dark outside.  I returned home, loaded up the car, and headed down the 405 freeway towards Long Beach.  Since  the virus hit, the traffic in Los Angeles has  been greatly reduced.  I arrived quickly and easily.  I found a spot in the long term parking lot, wrote down my space number on my ticket, and headed towards the lobby of the Catalena Express.  That's where you check in for the ferry ride.  You need reservations in advance.  They were fully booked.

Over the summer I had signed up for a special deal to celebrate my birthday.  They were offering  50% off the second night of your stay.  I had always wanted to visit Catalena and Avalon, so this was my golden opportunity.  I figured that I could drive there alone, maintain social distance and wear a mask on the ferry, and then sit outside on the terrace for meals.  We were situated above all of the congestion.  They only have six rooms at the hotel, and I met five other guests while I was there.  

The arrangement worked out beautifully.  Driving up to the hotel, my first glimpse of the mansion  took my breath away; it is so impressive!  The large, white electric gate swung open as we pulled through the driveway.  After enjoying a delicious lunch overlooking the water, I drove a high end golf cart, (which they provided,) down the steep, winding, narrow road through town and did some sightseeing.  The little shops and restaurants really still have the feel of old California.  There are no chain stores or fast food joints.  It's an enchanting getaway.  I can't wait to return.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

  

 


22 comments:

  1. Oh how beautiful! (And one good side to this miserable virus is less traffic). So nice that you had such a memorable trip for respite. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Andrea. Yes, zipping down the LA freeways was a treat!

      Delete
  2. Yay! You were able to go to Catalina Island, after all! I remember you doing a post, earlier, saying you'd like to visit it. Happy birthday, too! What a lovely way to celebrate your birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. It was a magnificent journey. I just love it there.

      Delete
  3. You had a great get away and I think you found the perfect place to stay on Catalina Island. I live in California and have not been there. Fun to drive that golf cart into town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terra. It is such a special location. I really fell in love with the place.

      Delete
  4. What a nice little getaway! Your photos look familiar for some reason - did you take a day trip to Catalina earlier this year? If not, then all I can say is, Strange!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time there, Pipistrello. I have used these photos before; Anita took them.

      Delete
  5. How lovely. A holiday can be a real pick-me-up and such a happy experience.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful getaway for you. And I bet Lula loved going on her vacation as well. The golf carts Mt. Ada provides make it so easy to tour the entire island. I have island envy now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the golf car was fabulous. It was a very high end model. Mine had leather seats.

      Delete
  7. How wonderful, it sounds like an absolutely lovely place to visit. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christina. It is a little jewel in California.

      Delete
  8. Fantastic to have a trip somewhere enchanting. It sounds lovely. So you are a Libran? So am I. Happy birthday xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday to you, as well, ratnamurti. It was so gorgeous there, thanks.

      Delete
  9. That sounds like a lovely birthday treat and I bet you feel properly refreshed.
    H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cherie. It was exciting to go somewhere that I have always wanted to visit.

      Delete
  10. Oh what a wonderful trip! It all sounds gorgeous. Belated Happy Birthday to you Stephenie 🎂 x

    ReplyDelete