Monday, October 12, 2020

Paying Bills and Doing Chores

Today I cleaned up the front garden.  I pruned the roses, pulled out the dead, brown leaves on the purple irises, removed the dried sunflowers, and cut off the dead wood from the Meyer Lemon tree.  

Those little activities make such a difference in the garden.  I plan to trim off the brittle aloe vera stems and compost it all this afternoon.  I've been needing more browns for my pile, and now is the time!  The leaves are starting to fall, and they make an excellent nutritious mulch for the fruit trees.  

I paid my home insurance, a few utility bills, and carefully checked my most recent brokerage account statement.  I'm very happy how my dividend paying stocks have been performing.  They have been consistent and reliable.  What's happening with you?

 Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.     

 

 

16 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've been busy in the garden and taking care of finances, too. Both things that need regular maintenance! I tend to play at gardening because my friend M does most of the work for me. He's promised me some winter vegetable seeds, so, I expect we will clean up one of the planting areas and get it ready, soon. We'll have to put some wire mesh around it to keep the cats off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you have someone to help you, Bless. The wire mesh sounds like a good idea.

      Delete
  2. Your leaves will be great in the compost! I have 4 compost bins: two for the front and two for the back. Weather is getting hotter here as you are getting cooler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little bit of garden work does make such a big difference, doesn't it? Very rewarding.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure does, Joy. The tree trimming makes a huge difference.

      Delete
  4. Your day sounds a lot like mine. There is always something to do in our small yard-deadheading flowers, picking up leaves, mowing the small lawn, sweeping up. There are lots of cobwebs this time of year so that is a constant battle. We just added a thin layer of chicken manure to the summer vegetable garden which resulted in a massive stink. Hopefully, the smell will dissipate quickly. Be careful in this heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken manure is like gold for the garden! It sounds like you are doing a thorough job, Anita.

      Delete
  5. I've been doing a lot of babysitting of a grandchild which of course is so lovely. Meeting up with friends now that lockdown has eased a lot here. And just sorting out my life, which seems to always be an ongoing thing. keep on top of savings, and money, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fun, ratnamurti. You are fortunate to be able to meet up with friends again. That's wonderful.

      Delete
  6. Yes the leaves are so nutritious! We always use our mulching mower on ours instead of raking. Your gardens will be beautiful next spring with all the work you are doing on them now. I guess we can always count on bills in the mail, one staple of life! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true,Andrea. They really help to feed the soil.

      Delete
  7. Garden work does make a huge difference, I just wish I had more time to get out there. Sounds like you had a good productive day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think its wonderful that you have a garden. I've been wanting a small garden, or at least some inside plants but I'm terrified of them dying because of my lack of knowledge on gardening. I have absolutely no clue at all about it, and the times that I've had plants inside my home they die within a few montha, even my succulents!
    Did you know that there are great benefits to touching soil and working on a garden? Its not only good for your mental health, but studies have shown that it helps your physical health.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, Kari. It affects us on so many levels. My neighbor just came over and thanked me for taking such good care of my front yard. I love admiring all of the pretty gardens in our neighborhood.

      Delete