Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Had the DVD Player Repaired

 I have been living at the cabin for over a year now, and I finally had the DVD player in the sun room fixed.  I just couldn't get it working.  The man who came over to check it just changed a few cords in the back, and now it's good to go.  I am excited to watch a movie while sitting on the couch tonight.  It's going to be so comfortable!  I had been watching films up in the bedroom until now.  I am going to remove that t.v. and replace it with an antique lamp. 

I am reading one of Peter Walsh's books on decluttering, and it is really inspiring me.  He used to be one of my favorite guests on the  Oprah Winfrey show.  Each day I have been going through the seller's old belongings,  soring, cleaning, and boxing up and donating what I don't need or use.  The cabin feels entirely different now.  It's amazing how much larger a home feels when there is more space.  

The older I get, the less material possessions I want.  I do love comfortable furniture and gorgeous antique lamps.  I'm finding it easier to clean now, as well.  I am happy with my library books, yoga, nature walks, bike rides, and chats on the phone with friends.  

I met with my neighbor at the country club yesterday.  We sat by the lake, enjoyed a glass of wine, and had an amusing conversation.  I brought a real wine glass and some almonds.  It's a peaceful place to social distance and socialize.  There were only four people there.  

How are you doing?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.     


   

20 comments:

  1. I cant remember the last time I actually got a DVD out to watch. I'm definitely a streamer these days! I agree the older I get the less I want or need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I check out DVD's for free at our library, Frugal. I had a subscription to Amazon Prime, but I wasn't using it. Glad to hear that you are enjoying streaming.

      Delete
  2. Well done. It's nice to tick something off the 'to do' list, isn't it?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. Yes, it sure is. It's so comfortable downstairs in the den on that plush couch. I will be spending a lot of time there in the winter.

      Delete
  3. Someone said the first half of life is for acquiring things, the second for giving them away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a wise saying, emw. I have my favorites, but I really feel much happier with less stuff.

      Delete
  4. Wow! I didn't realize it has been a year, already! That's good you got the DVD player repaired. Now you can enjoy many cozy winter evenings watching DVDs. Well done on getting rid of the clutter and making the cabin your own. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. The DVD player wasn't broken, I just didn't know how to hook it up properly. He got it running within a few minutes. It's a such a relief.

      Delete
  5. Things are puttering along here in paradise. That is good news that you were able to find someone to fix the DVD player. We just replaced our 20 year old one earlier this year. We have many, many DVDs, mostly old movies, that we watch most nights. Yes, the older I get, the less things I want around me. I love my surfaces being clear. A glass of wine by the lake with a friend-now that sounds like a perfect afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the old movies, too, Anita. The glass of wine by the lake with my friend was awesome. We'll have to do it again before it gets too cold. Twenty years of use with your old player...that's excellent!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like you are always on "vacation"! Yes, decluttering does feel good. I was watching Suzi Orman on PBS last weekend and I thought of you. She is so good. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a lot of housework and yard work, Andrea. It does feel really relaxing up here, though. I would love to see that special with Suze. She is amazing.

      Delete
  7. Your cabin always sounds like a tranquil home whenever I read your posts about it, Stephanie. And you always sound happy there. Meg🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meg. I really am. I have made some really nice friends in the area. The nature and hiking is amazing! I love gazing at the views.

      Delete
  8. I agree about having less possessions and less clutter. I'm always dropping things off at the church and hospice shops. Otherwise - I start to feel overwhelmed with "stuff".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, ratnamurti. Our possessions really do hold energy.

      Delete
  9. Goodness hasn't time flown. You will be able to enjoy lovely cosy evenings in the cabin watching your favourite dvd's all through the winter. It sounds idyllic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I just checked out a few more from the library. It has been so cozy by the fire.

      Delete
  10. My son amd I enjoy watching movies on our dvd player too. I think he might be one of the few his generation that still watch DVD s. Wow, i hope it still continues unlike the VHS.
    There's something about the process of aquiring and watching a DVD that streaming lacks. I'm sure streaming might be much easier. Still DVDs are awesome. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoy them, Kari. They have so many for free at our library. That's sweet that you and your son watch them together.

    ReplyDelete