Sunday, December 13, 2020

In the Mood to Mop the Floors


This afternoon I felt the urge to clean, so I followed that energy.  I  vacuumed the carpets, and mopped the floors.  I used hot water with my homemade liquid soap for the first coat, then followed it with  hot water mixed with white vinegar for the rinse.  The house feels clean.  The air feels different; it reminds me of my mom's house.  She was an exceptional housekeeper.  I am no where near at her level, but she cleaned for hours every day.  She would approve.  She loved this place.  She found her big house a burden as she got older.     

I dusted the furniture, as well.  The past couple of days I've been catching up on the laundry, and will deep clean the bathroom and kitchen tomorrow.  It is much easier to take care of a small home as you age.  I'm so glad that I opted for older furniture and appliances.  They are extremely well made.  The newer stuff falls apart so quickly.  I love what I have; it's sturdy and trustworthy.  My Kenmore washer and dryer are fifty years old, and they are still going strong.  My stove/oven is seventy years old, and it works perfectly.  It's a relief not to need to have repairmen in the house right now.  I don't want to take the risk, with Covid.

I'm going to do some yoga before bed.  It helps to have healthy routines during these times.  Our habits create our future.  I am so thankful that I stayed on a disciplined budget for all of these years.  It has made the pandemic much easier for me than it would have been when I was younger.  How are you faring?  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

22 comments:

  1. I see some Christmassy things being crocheted!

    I've been cleaning a little, too, as I like to clean before I decorate for Christmas. Yesterday, I vacuumed the family room, today, I washed the living room mantel and polished the mirror.

    Sounds like you are keeping well. Continue to stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to do a couple of those tasks, too, Bless. Cleaning each day makes such a difference. You don't have to do it all at once.

      Delete
  2. We are faring well living a simple life and making the most of what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a small home as we age. My son thinks I am the only person on the planet that doesn't want a big house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore my little cottage, Cherie. It's manageable and cozy. It's much less of a responsibility.

      Delete
  4. There is something quite Cathartic about cleaning and feeling on top of everything. Its been lovely to see the sunshine today and to be able to open the windows wide to let in the fresh air as the weather has been so damp and cold. Wow I'm amazed at the ages of your appliances, certainly things aren't made like that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are wonderful, Frugal. Things were built to last in those days. Glad to hear that you got some sunshine and fresh air.

      Delete
  5. Yesterday I dusted and vacuumed the office room. Now I need to be disciplined and start preparing for the next semester.

    I don’t know how old my appliances are, but I’m sure they are at least 20 years old. Previous owner left the washer and dryer because I asked him to do so. I like the simplicity of these old appliances- it’s also easier to repair them when needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Nil. They are so reliable and dependable.

      Delete
  6. I have a strict schedule of cleaning the house every Wednesday morning. I call it Cinderella Day and if something else interferes with my schedule I can be a bit out of sorts. Do I need professional help (haha)? I am amazed at the age of your washing machine. With the terribly hard water we have down here anything that uses water often times does not last as long as you would hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cinderella Day...that's great! We have very hard water here, too. I have read that it's supposed to be good for your teeth. Many people in our area use water softeners.

      Delete
  7. Yoga before bed sounds so calming. I have a set of stretches and exercises I do each day in the quiet of the morning. I agree that creating routines like these can lead to better wellbeing. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree, Meg. Yesterday I took a day off and rested. What a difference. A hot bath can do wonders!

      Delete
  8. Your liquid soap sounds interesting - do you have a recipe? I'd love to use one for laundry too. Yoga before bed is so lovely. I really like the old fashioned yoga so much; it's so restorative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too, ratnamurti. I use one bar of grated soap to eight cups of water. I cook it on the stove and store it in recycled milk cartons.

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad to have a small house now Stephenie, housework get's harder with every passing year. I don't fare so well on my hands and knees these days! I'd much rather stand to mop the floor and dust the skirting boards, so long handled dusters are perfect ;) I feel so much better if the house is clean.
    Wow to the age of your appliances. None of mine have lasted anywhere near that long. Stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do, too, PP. These appliances are fantastic. I have gotten so much use out of them. They don't make them like this anymore.

      Delete
  10. I've recently signed up to a daily yoga challenge starting in January. I'm looking forward to it. X

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know I love to hear about your mother! We are doing really well, and I’m glad to read that you are, too. We’re in a big farmhouse out in the country and plan to downsize someday when the kids are grown. I know I will feel this house to be a burden, like you said. I dream of a quaint cottage. As always, I enjoy your posts. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Courtney, Thanks for commenting. The older I get, the more I appreciate a smaller home. Less is more...

      Delete