Sunday, July 4, 2021

Froze My Credit Today


 Today I did some research online.  After carefully checking my credit report, I froze all three companies: TransUnion, Equifax, and Experian.  It was easy to do online.  The security questions were excellent.

 I have been hearing stories of seniors having their information stolen.  One of my older dancer friends had money taken from his bank account.  Someone called him on the phone, pretending to be a bank employee helping him, and it was a fraudster.  He was so upset.   By freezing your credit, you don't run the risk of someone being able to use your social security number or  obtaining a credit card in your name. 

Another older woman I know was renting out rooms in her house on AirB&B.  She recently discovered that her trust was missing.  What a nightmare.  It's important to have working relationships with you banker, insurance agent, and brokerage firm.  Everyone should know who you are and recognize your voice.  Unfortunately, there are people out there who will try to take financial advantage of those who are elderly and who they perceive as being easy to  manipulate.

I'm continuing to pull the weeds in the front and side yards.  It seems like a never ending task, but I'm nearly finished.  There is a lot of regular watering to do, but it makes all of the difference in the health of the soil and the trees.   I am going to pull several of the small oak seedlings that have sprouted out of the ground.  There is not space for them to grow into mature trees.  

I had two close friends call me over the weekend.  It was wonderful to have a long talk with each of them and to catch up on our lives.  Lifelong friendships are such a gift.  We can talk about anything and everything.  I love hearing their voices and laughing together.

A few different small children at the lake have asked me if I'm the lifeguard.  At fifty-six, that's quite a compliment.  (Thanks to henna and yoga, I guess.)  It may be because I am wearing a red one piece bathing suit, and sunbathe near the lifeguard station,   Still, it makes me chuckle.  They want to go swimming, and have to wait until the lifeguard is on duty.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so  much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 



14 comments:

  1. What a lovely thing to ask, bless them. Very sensible of them to want a lifeguard there.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so cute. Our sense of time really shifts as we age. They can wade in the shallow end until the lifeguard arrives.

      Delete
  2. Very sensible precautions Stephenie. We can't be too careful these days as there are so many greedy tricksters out there. It must be lovely to have life long friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherie. I feel relieved having gotten this done. I have a fraud alert on my debit card, too. The bank sends me a text if there is a suspicious charge.

      Delete
  3. We froze our credit 10 years ago. That was before it was a common thing to do, but it made sense for us. We had to pay a fee at 2 of the 3 credit bureaus. I have never regretted it. I always love talking to friends on the phone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, I froze two of mine years ago, too. Actually, I closed all three, and then reopened Experian. (I think so I could rent a car.) It was free to close all three this time! I think I paid a fee last time, too. (Something like $10.00.)

      Delete
  4. Very wise of you to be so proactive where finances are concerned. One can't be too careful these days. Glad you got to enjoy visiting with your friends over the weekend. Long time friends are very special. Too cute about the kids asking if you were the lifeguard! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless. That's true about being careful. Long time friends are treasures. I giggle at the kids asking 56 year old me if I'm the lifeguard. Too funny.

      Delete
  5. You are wise to freeze your credit. I did it several years ago. You never know when there's a security breach.

    Weeding is really a never ending tasks. It's the rainy season here, and now weeds grows as soon as I pull them out.

    I've observed that people who do yoga look so fit and healthy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am relieved to have my credit frozen, Nil. Glad to hear that you did yours, too. Yoga is great for muscle tone and staying lean. It still shocks me that the kids asked me that...it's happened a few times with very young children. They are so cute.

      Delete
  6. Oy! I did not realize that freezing the credit scoring companies is an effective way to control shysters. I get so disheartened hearing of such things. I'm glad you and your friend are "on it" and that they weren't able to get away with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LL, There are other scams they can commit, but freezing the credit is very effective for some of them. Your credit report can't be run. I don't use credit cards, so it works for me. I also have fraud protection at my bank. They alert me if there is a suspicious or out of state charge on my account.

      Delete
  7. It is always best to exercise caution where our finances are concerned. You can never be too careful. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Jules. Prevention is very effective.

      Delete