Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Taking Care of the Soil and the Trees

 Yesterday I drove down the 405 to Marina del Rey and went kayaking again.  I have figured out how to time the traffic.  I depart early, and head home before 1:00 p.m.   It is such a joy when I can fly down that 405 freeway.  It was crowded at the beach.  I have never seen so many kids in my life!  They kept arriving in school bus after school bus.   It reminded me of Disneyland.  I wasn't expecting it.  What a fun field trip for them.  

After paddling across the channel that leads to the open water, I noticed an animal sputtering by the dock.   At first I was concerned that it was a shark or dolphin.  I watched cautiously, and a sea lion poked its head through the surface of the water and  wriggled up onto the sun bleached wooden platform.  He sprawled out right next to one of the boats, nose in the air, very vocal and energetic.  I was thrilled to see him; I love seals.  They seem so awkward on land.  He or she squirmed  into a more comfortable position, like a mermaid.  Their fins fascinate me.

I have been focusing on caring for the numerous  trees at the cabin and have been religiously amending the soil.  The other day I applied composted manure to the woodland garden.  I will mulch it with straw tomorrow.  The hollyhocks are in bloom, and everyone asks me what they are.  I love the old fashioned flowers.  The dahlias look like they will flower soon.  

I'm finding that if I water the oak trees when it's cool and shady, they emanate a tremendous amount of oxygen.  You can literally feel it on your skin.  It's a relief to inhale such clean, healthy air.  I remember the days when everyone had gardens, healthy trees, and colorful flowers.  Now the focus seems to be on vehicles and possessions.  I love keeping the yard natural and comfortable for the wildlife.  There are so many birds!  I've seen quail, red tailed hawks, woodpeckers, robins, orioles, and a blue heron.  The mulch helps to keep the soil cool and moist.  When I had the trees trimmed last year, the arborist commented on how healthy the soil is.  That's where it all starts, down beneath the ground.  The forest floor is layered with nutrients.  How is your soil?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are enjoying the best of both worlds, Stephenie - the beach and the mountains. :) Yes, it is important to enrich the soil for the plants to grow well. Hollyhocks are such pretty flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. We've hauled 4 trailer loads of soil to where we are now. It was so depleted. Even with that, it's lacking - but at least improving. Your trees and garden sound like a lovely retreat from the heat of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You paint a beautiful picture of your days, Stephenie. You have a wonderful lifestyle at your cabin. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great picture of you and Lula with your friend. Both of you have such poise. We have been working on our soil since we re-landscaped the front and back yards 15 years ago. I attended several gardening classes on how to improve the rocky clay soil we have here. Mulch is very important!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Thanks. We both have decades of ballet training, which helps. Soil improvement is very rewarding. My front yard at the cottage was clay, too. I added layers of mulch and over time it became wonderful, rich, and filled with worms.

      Delete
  5. Working in the garden is so healing isn't it. Not just all that fresh air but hard physical graft. I can almost smell that woodland of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sure is, Cherie. I love the scent of the Jeffrey pines up here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad your trees and garden are so healthy, especially with all the heat out west. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete