Saturday, July 10, 2021

Replacing the 1950's Carpet and Flooring

 I just ordered new carpet for the cabin.  There will be oak hard wood floors downstairs, and  sage green high quality carpet upstairs.  What I currently have is nearly seventy years old, I think.  This was a vacation home that was just used on the weekends.   They spent money on quality, and bought materials that would last.  It's definitely time to update.

I was fortunate to find the gorgeous wood for the floors on close-out.  It would have been extremely expensive, but because of the timing, I got an incredible deal.  I think it will look fabulous with a fire in the fireplace.  The flooring I have now is laminate.  It's those marbled squares that are fake wood.  I think having the real thing will make all the difference.  

When they got older, my parents pulled up the carpeting in their home and replaced it with dark hardwood floors.  It really gave the house a rich, upscale look.   I loved how the brown stain matched their antiques.  

The carpet I currently have is pale yellow, and is very old fashioned.  It might even be that indoor/outdoor carpeting that they used to sell.  It doesn't have any stains or tears, but it's very thin and faded.  I am so excited to see how the new, plush carpet looks.  One man will carpet the upstairs, while the other two install the flooring downstairs.  It's going to be exciting!

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

14 comments:

  1. Loving your plans. It will look fantastic when it's all done. I'm looking forward to photos, if possible. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. I am planning to take before and after photos.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are doing quite a bit of upgrading at the cabin! I'm sure you'll like the hardwood flooring downstairs and the new carpets upstairs. When I bought my house, it was carpeted and after a couple of years, I replaced the carpets. That's when I discovered the oak hardwood flooring, underneath! Several years later, I removed all the carpeting and refinished the hardwood floors. I do have some vinyl flooring in the kitchen, but, would like to get that redone, next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of other people doing the same thing, and being very happy with the result, Bless. I think it's nice to have a combination.

      Delete
  3. How lovely it all sounds. I'm looking forward to seeing it all when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds just beautiful. My parent's house had wonderful tongue and grove oak floors under wall to wall carpet. When I put the house on the market the real estate agent and I pulled up the carpet in one closet so potential buyers could see the floor. It was a huge selling point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was smart to show them, Anita. I've read that many of the young buyers now reject carpeting. They like hardwood floors.

      Delete
  5. So excited for you! It sounds like great fun to update.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to see your new floors and carpet Stephenie! The change will make it feel like a brand new house!

    X Chy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the exact same thing, Chy. Lots of old energy will be gone after ripping out the old carpet and throw rugs. They've certainly gotten a lot of use.

      Delete
  7. Sounds wonderful, I hope you share some photos when you have finished.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete