Saturday, July 17, 2021

A Visit to Anacapa, in the Channel Islands

 Last Tuesday I took the ferry from Ventura Harbor to Anacapa, one of the five Channel Islands.  I have always wanted to visit this part of California, and was excited to have booked a seat on one of Island Packers' daily boats to make the trip.

I left my cottage at 7:30 a.m.  There wasn't any traffic on the 126, it was a gorgeous day.  There were some light sprinkles on the windshield as I drove the forty miles to Ventura Harbor.  I parked in Lot 4, and checked in at the front desk.  All I had to do was give the woman  my confirmation number, which they had emailed to me.  You call in the morning to be sure that the weather is suitable for sailing.  If not, the trips are canceled.  Ours was a go.  

I waited in line for our boat, The Explorer.  Things were very well organized.  There looked to be about one hundred people on board.  I sat outside, and wore my mask.  I was glad that I had packed my handknit wool sweater, hat, and gloves, because it got cold and windy on the way to the island.  To our delight, over a hundred dolphins began swimming alongside us on our journey.  They were also diving up and down through the wake behind us.  We were all enchanted with their beauty, sleekness, and buoyancy.  The rhythm and show they put on was so uplifting.  

Once we had debarked, I watched  four kayakers who had brought their own kayaks.  They had to lower them from the dock with ropes.  I listened to the ranger's speech and  advice, and decided to kayak from Santa Cruz island next time.  They rent out sit on top kayaks, and they offer group tours.  It looks to me like you need two people to lift the kayaks and set them up in the water, which is quite a ways down from the dock.  He told me this group were all experienced with ocean kayaking.  My Oru Beach model is designed for still waters and lakes.  

Instead, I stepped into the simple changing stall, put on my bathing suit, and went for a swim.  I climbed down the steep ladder, into the 60 degree water.  Like the dolphins, I felt a sense of lightness in the salt water.  I was in a cove, and swam into one of the small caves.  The water was calm, and I was the only still there.  Everyone else had gone hiking.  The kayakers were out in the ocean.   It was such a healing experience.  I found it so easy to float.  The water seemed to make my body bounce, just like the dolphins.  

More on this adventure in my next post...the video below captures the beauty of the area.  It's near Santa Barbara, Califoria.  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  


15 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Looking forward to read more about your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did, Nil. It is such a special place...very healing.

      Delete
  2. How neat that your ocean swim felt like a healing experience. I live near the ocean and see it every day, but it is too cold here for me to swim. I look forward to hearing more about your island adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Terra. The ocean was so refreshing. The sunshine and water temperature were perfect.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful for you. It sounds fantastic.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. It really was. I am going to book another trip to Santa Cruz island soon.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fun outing, Stephenie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful experience. I'd love to see dolphins. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so happy and energetic, Jules. Their energy was just magical.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a gentle and wonderful experience Stephenie. It's so hot and sticky here that a dip in the ocean would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's been hot here, too, Cherie. I love getting out to the beach. It just revives you. (yet also makes you feel sleepy and relaxed.)

      Delete
  7. It sounds like an incredible adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It really was, Mereknits. It feels a world away, yet is very close to Santa Monica and Santa Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My goodness what an adventure you went on. Such a joy to see the dolphins swimming alongside the boat.

    ReplyDelete