Monday, July 19, 2021

More on Anacapa

 After climbing up the steep, steel ladder to the dock, I peeled off my wet bathing suit in the changing room and hung it out to dry.  I walked up the steps that rose straight two stories straight in the air to the hiking trail.  Once up there, all you could see were birds.  The island is a nesting sight for the seagulls.  They are EVERYWHERE!  It's unbelievable.  They had their babies with then, who were juvenile sized, speckled, grey, and downy.  

There are no trees on Anacapa.  I was worried that it would be intensely hot, but the temperature was very pleasant.  I hiked up to a spot with a gorgeous view of the ocean.  You could hear the sea lions bellowing, but it was hard for me to  see them.  One older woman standing near me described them as "looking like rocks, but moving." I spotted the four kayakers, paddling eagerly around the perimeter of the island.  I secretly wished that  I could have gone with them.  

I decided to return to the cove for one more swim.  When I got back, there were a couple of families in the water.  I had recommended taking a dip to one woman who was now there with her kids,  We had talked on the trail, and she told me that they were wearing their suits.  Treading water, she had a huge smile on her face.  Our eyes met and I nodded, happy to see her submerged in the salt water.  

The ocean felt amazing and powerful.  I am convinced that being in lakes and the sea is fantastic for our health, on many levels.  I sat and chatted with a woman who was staying there with her teen age daughter and husband.  They were camping in tents for a few nights.  She told me that they brought their own water with them, and packed some instant meals and lots of snacks.  They have a camper stove.  She explained that has a lot of backpacking experience.  (a foreign and interesting world to me.)  I just go for day hikes with a backpack.  It's totally different.  

I thought about what it would be like to camp there.  She seemed very relaxed and grounded.  Her daughter had long black hair that was practically down to her ankles.  She was leaning to the side, combing it, as I got out of the water for the last time.

On the boat trip back, we saw a whale.  It was a magnificent being.  We all gasped and cheered as it put on a show for us.  Once again, a pod of dolphins swam alongside our boat, and behind us, in the wake.  I sighed with contentment.  It was a rewarding and satisfying  trip.  

Once we arrived in the parking lot, I drove back on the 126 East,  heading home.  It was 7:00 p.m. when I pulled into the driveway, and I felt sleepy from the salt water and air.   I forced myself to fry a turkey burger and made a salad.  After doing the dishes, and washing out my swimsuit, I fell into bed, and slept deeply and soundly.  My  mind remembered the frolicking dolphins and that majestic whale.  Ah...

  The ocean is so healing.  I plan to spend much more time there in retirement.  (even if it's  just for the day.)

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Posts may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a lovely trip! The evening news had a segment about the boat tours to the Channel Islands, yesterday, and showed people kayaking. I thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so much fun. Bless. It was a really special trip.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like an incredibly beautiful place Stephenie. I'm not surprised that you slept well after a full day breathing in ocean air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the sea air really does make you feel tired and relaxed, Cherie. I am looking forward to spending more time in the ocean. When I was younger, I was always too busy working.

      Delete
  3. Your trip sounds so wonderful. I agree about the ocean being so healing, not just for your health but for your soul. Lucky to see a whale this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was, Anita. Thanks. Yesterday In filled the bathtub up with water and sea salt, and soaked for quite a while. The whale was very impressive. They are huge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like Heaven, the whole experience. So glad it was a wonderful day for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a heavenly day trip, Mereknits. Just wonderful...

      Delete