Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Roses in Retirement

 


I have been letting the roses grow wild in front of my cottage.  One bush is now five feet tall.  They seem to love to expand and reach toward the sunlight.  As the saying goes, "Roses love to be on display." 

Although roses appear to be expensive in the nurseries, I have found that they are well worth the investment.  They provide, beauty, grace and fragrance.  As they age, the plants as a whole become stronger, and their stalks thicken.  



You can cut them to enjoy in a crystal vase in your home, and you don't need to hire an expensive tree trimmer to keep the pruned.  If you deadhead them regularly, they will reward you with constant blooms during the warm weather.

For those who own cottages, roses are a classic plant to show off in your front garden.  They attract so much attention and admiration.

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful roses. I agree. If I had to do it over, I'd plant more roses. They are worth the investment. andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm realizing, Andrea. They really make a cottage garden special.

      Delete
  2. Roses are beautiful. Very English country garden. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Joy. The more mine mature, the more I love them. They have such a distinctive energy.

      Delete
  3. Roses are beautiful! At one time, I had nearly 100 rose bushes in my garden! Now, I just have a dozen or so. I miss my roses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That must have been amazing, Bless. A dozen is still impressive.

      Delete
  4. Roses are such a joy aren't they. I would only ever plant fragrant ones though as for us that's half the pleasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for me, Cherie. I also planted jasmine to climb along the fence. It has such an intoxicating fragrance!

      Delete
  5. Roses are such a lovely flower, with so many varieties and colours to choose from ... wonderful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are, Jan! I totally agree. They are treasures.

      Delete
    2. Suzanne Somers (1946-2023) American actress businesswoman commercial model singer songwriter dancer philanthropist and endorser. RIP.πŸ‘ΌπŸ•ŠπŸ˜‡πŸ˜­πŸ˜Ž

      Delete
  6. What beautiful roses. So many of my neighbors grow them and I love passing their homes and breathing deep. We have a large rose garden in Balboa Park which is one of my favorite places for a stroll.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Anita. My neighbors have them, too. They grow so tall; I love them as privacy plants. Balboa Park sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete