Monday, September 25, 2023

Using Your Time Wisely in Retirement

 

One thing I commonly hear from people nearing retirement is that they don't know what they will do all day!   Many of them identify strongly with their work/career role.    They worry that once that form of expression ends, they will be bored, lonely and have endless hours stretching out in front of them each day.  They imagine a depressed and lonely existence. 


I have found the exact opposite to be true.  With so many hobbies, in addition to the responsibility of taking care of my home and garden, I find that it's difficult to fit in everything I want to do in twenty-four hours.   Each day in retirement for me is full and busy. 

I love to be outside with my dogs on our gorgeous, sunny California hiking trails.  The shot above is taken on a long walk that I took last week in Agua Dulce.  Thats is the famous Pacific Crest Trail.  The damp caves, sparkling stream, and flagstone staircase made the journey feel enchanting. Parts of the landscape are rocky, stark and memorable.  Vasquez Rocks in pictured in the background. 


Although in the past few years I took some magnificent trips to Europe, in 2023, I have stayed home.  The plans I carefully made to visit the Panama Canal, London, and the British Isles collapsed, because all three of my flights were canceled.  That disappointment dampened my excitement.  I lost the passion, due to not trusting in the airlines, travel insurance carriers, and other merchants.  There is so much to do close to my home, so I have been kayaking at our local lakes, paddling in the ocean, and biking on the bike trails and through our neighborhood. 

You don't have to sit in front of the tv and veg out as you age.  If you stick to a routine, you can enjoy making delicious meals, get in your daily exercise, grow a lush garden, and take care of your home and pets.  I savor watching my favorite television shows and documentaries on Netflix and Max each evening.  For many of my lean years I didn't have tv, so now it feels like a real treat.  I definitely get my money's worth from the two streaming services I have.  

Retirement is what you make it.  If you fill it with things that you love to do, it can be a rewarding and fantastic time. 

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 


13 comments:

  1. After a very busy and all consuming career as a teacher, I said pretty much that at first. I laugh at my former self now. I'm happier now that I ever was before and the stress levels are so little as to be not there at all. it's the good life, for sure and there's so much to do and experience close at hand. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Joy. My life became much less pressured and stressful after I retired from teaching, too.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, Stephenie. I find that my time goes by too quickly, these days! Makes me wonder how I had time to do anything when I was working!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad said that it continues to speed up as you age, Bless. (like a cassette tape.) It's true.

      Delete
  3. The flagstone staircase looks very inviting. One of those "I've got to climb up here to see what's at the top," trails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went up there and explored, Tracy. Thank you for reading and for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tony is still spending far too much time on the sofa but I leave him to it now. I just get on with gardening and taking care of the house. It would be too easy to sit and watch TV all day if that was my nature. Thankfully it isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your work on your garden and house really shows, Cherie. It's good exercise, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I embraced the retirement lifestyle with no problem! I guess that means I was really and truly ready. I am always busy during the day doing household and garden activities, hiking in the nature reserve which we border, or exploring the local area. I also volunteer with 3 separate nonprofits which keeps my mind active. Thanks for sharing another beautiful rose bush picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you are living a happy and productive life in retirement, Anita. San Diego is such an ideal location. That rose bush is really stretching out and spreading its wings. They seem to like me letting them grow wild, with minimal pruning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to retire and hope to be as busy as you are with wonderful activities each day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My retirement plan was to spend time travelling and being with my husband Tony . He died in March . I find I have little interest in doing much of anything now
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My condolences, Siobhan. I hope that you still do some traveling on your own or with friends. Thank you for reading and for commenting.

      Delete