Sunday, September 3, 2023

The Joy of Gardening During Retirement

 


One of my favorite ways to spend time as a retiree is as a gardener.  Shrub roses grow well here in the sunny mountains of California.  I go out and deadhead these Cecile Brunners each morning.  I am rewarded with constant, fragrant, pink blooms and new growth.  They enjoyed a recent drenching from the rain we just received.


This year I planted a Mr. Lincoln, (my favorite dramatic red rose,) in the ground.  It's located in a sunny spot, and I'm hoping that it will thrive there.  Berries, apples, pears, and cherries grow in abundance in Wrightwood, California.  Our summers are short and mild, unlike the harsh and blistering heat we experience in Santa Clarita.  I tend different fruits in each location.


This plum tree is very close to my cabin.  I saw a squirrel excitedly run off with one of these succulent fruits in its mouth.  It looks like they have adapted to the climate very well here, as well.  This plot of land also has a large grapevine that is filled with grapes.  It receives plenty of sun.

Are you growing any fruit right now?  I am currently harvesting Macintosh Apples.  They are so tasty and sweet!  

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please reply in English.  I'm sorry, but those with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

12 comments:

  1. I'm early, semi-retired and looking forward to more time in my garden. Here in New Zealand spring fruit trees are waking up but I'm still harvesting kiwi fruit, lemons, limes and oranges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful, THC. My citrus are green right now. Thank you for reading and for commenting.

      Delete
  2. Your pink roses are beautiful and I hope the red rose will grow well, too. No reason why it shouldn't because you take such good care of your plants. I have some oranges and lemons growing, right now and a passionfruit vine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your garden looks lovely, Bless. I wonder if I could grow passionfruit here?

      Delete
  3. My autumn raspberries seem a but late this year but they are coming along now. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is the time, Joy. The ones in the stores are so plump and juicy from all the rain and snow.

      Delete
  4. I spend a lot of time in the garden, usually in the afternoon. Our yard is very small which is fine by me. I know each plant and greet them all each day. Yes, I am a crazy old lady. I am a firm believer in the power of deadheading blooming plants and do it daily. The reward is more flowers and a healthier plant. The lemon, blueberries and raspberries are not producing now. Your roses are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that deadheading really does wonders, too, Anita. The climate in Wrightwood is ideal for growing roses. It's cooler than in Santa Clarita. they are very resilient.

      Delete
  5. Your roses are beautiful, we are just getting another lot of blooms on ours just as we thought they were done. At the allotment we are harvesting Autumn raspberries, small russet dessert apples and plump Bramley cooking ones. Plums would be lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you, PP. Thank you, I love those roses. What a fantastic harvest from your allotment. I would like to grow some different varieties of apples up here; I will google the ones you mentioned.

      Delete
  6. Your roses look lovely.
    September is a good month for apples.
    Enjoy your days in the garden.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lowcarb. The apples that grow locally are so delicious! There are so many different varieties.

      Delete