Sunday, May 14, 2017

A Day Trip To The Mountains

There's something about the feeling  of being in the mountains that has always uplifted me. The pine trees, fresh air, and blue skies all make me feel happy and hopeful. Today I took my German Shepherd for a gorgeous drive and hike up in Frasier Park. The views were incredible. I had a light backpack and brought along a cheese sandwich, plenty of water, and my camera. We drove up to Frasier Mountain, and parked at the trailhead. I was glad that I had my Adventure Pass, and hung it on the rearview mirror of my car.

Years ago, when  I worked at the  MGM Grand Hotel in Reno, Nevada, I fell in love with the setting. Reno is a small city surrounded by mountains. After I got hired in Las Vegas at the audition, I packed up my convertible bug to start my first professional show as a dancer. I was so excited. I drove through the Sierra Nevadas from San Francisco. It was about a four and a half hour trip. The scenery was some of the most beautiful I had ever seen. Once I was in the show, my friends and I  used to head up to Lake Tahoe on our night off now and then, for dinner and to see a show. It was such a spectacular location. I'll never forget it. Many of the dancers that I worked with at MGM  Reno, Nevada also used to ski at Tahoe regularly. They would rave about the wonderful time that they had, rising early in the morning to make the trip. After skiing all day, they would drive down the mountain, which took two and a half hours,  all the way home. They were back to the Ziegfeld Theater in time to dance through two shows, one at 8:00 p.m. and with a second  show at midnight.  We were all young, excited to be working as professional dancers, and we had the energy. It was a dream job. Years later I got to perform in the show Sugar Babies at Harrah's in Lake Tahoe. That was unforgettable. Juliet Prowse and Rip Taylor were the stars. I rented a gorgeous house on the lake, with a stunning view. It was so peaceful and relaxed. I can't think of a more heavenly place.

These days I take day trips up to the mountains near my home. After our hike this morning, we drove through a quaint little neighborhood with small houses up on the hills. There is something so charming about homes in the mountains. I love the steep hills, and the rockiness of the streets. The poppies were in bloom, and they looked so cheerful.  You can just feel the energy. It reminds me of the movie Heidi, which I always loved as a child.

Some people dream of living by the ocean. For me, my first choice is being in the mountains. They just exude something special and healing. How about you?           

2 comments:

  1. I love mountains. Are there waterfalls in your area?
    Where I live, there are no mountains, but I'm about 40 minutes from the beach. It's very crowded, so I don't go there often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we have waterfalls in this area, too. They are spectacular. Ah, the beach. That's something I need to do. It's one of the reasons I moved here, but I always forget to go! Too bad your beach is crowded...

    ReplyDelete