Saturday, May 13, 2017

The Energizing Effect of Hiking

Now that I have had my hips replaced, I am thrilled that I can enjoy hiking again. It's so nice to be pain free and to have a healthy gait. These are all things that I used to take for granted, but not anymore. Before my surgery I had an embarrassing limp that I couldn't correct. I had this strange, jerky,  hoppity skippity movement with each step. I avoided walking in front of people, because I didn't want them to see me. My surgeon told me that after the surgery I wouldn't be bent forward when I was walked anymore. He was right. Now people tell me that they can't even tell that I've had both hips replaced. That's music to my ears. 

I live in an area that is close to some wonderful hiking trails. A few times a week I take one of my dogs in the car, and we get out in nature on a hike. The other dog stays home as a watchdog. They seem to understand that they have to take turns. There are so many beautiful canyons and mountains nearby. I love to explore them.

I've always felt a strong connection to nature. When I was a little girls, I used to go to Vacation Bible School each day with my best friend during the summer. We would meet in the church parking lot, and drive out to a state park in Northern California. The camp counselors would lead us on a hike down the trail to a wooded campground. We would spend the day there, enjoying a packed lunch, reading, singing, and absorbing the essence of nature. It was so good for us kids. It felt so healthy and grounding. In that area, the redwood trees were just gorgeous. The power was so strong. We all came home feeling centered, happy, and tired. It was so healthy.

I notice hiking has the same effect on my dogs. They respond so well to the time in nature. Something about the trees, the earth, the streams, and the quiet makes them seem more relaxed and  peaceful. I generally just hike them for an hour or ninety minutes. Since we are all getting older, I don't push our bodies as hard as I did when I was young. I try to find a balance so that we are staying strong. This way I still have the energy to do the work that needs doing once I'm home. 

How about you? Do you enjoy hiking?

No comments:

Post a Comment