Wednesday, May 10, 2017

The Backyard Orchard



When I was a child, we used to visit a beautiful old ranch. It was owned collectively by several members of my dad's side of the family. There were acres and acres of apricot, pear, and walnut trees. That was my first experience ever seeing fruit on a tree. I didn't realize that was how it grew. I found the concept absolutely fascinating. I decided then and there that when I grew up, I would have my own house and that I would plant my own fruit trees. I visualized in my mind how it would feel to pick fresh fruit off of trees right on the property. To me it was a huge dream. Most of the people where I grew up had expansive lawns in their backyards. That's what we had, that, and a jungle gym. We could play on the bars and practice cartwheels. It looked nothing like an orchard.

When I first moved into my cottage, I began planting fruit trees in the backyard. The soil was fine, like sand. It was almost white, and it needed a lot of help. I started a compost pile, and began collecting leaves, manure, and large, heavy bags of used coffee grounds from Starbucks. I would rake up leaves for my neighbors in exchange for taking them home. I piled everything together. One woman let me take as much horse and goat manure as I wanted. I knew that manure was gold for composting! I gave her some of my homemade soap as a thank you. I added all of my fruit and vegetable scraps to the pile. (I eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, so I had a nice mixture of trimmings.)  I placed the finished compost in the planting holes, and mulched the entire backyard with straw.

I planted several different fruit trees. Because I live in an area that has very hot summers, not every tree survived. The citrus trees and pomegranate bush have been the healthiest. They have made it through a severe drought, and have been very consistent in bearing fruit. It's a pleasure for me to have freshly squeezed orange juice on a regular basis. An orange off of the tree tastes entirely different than one that's bought at the grocery store. The flavor is so fresh and delicious. Citrus fruits also make wonderful cakes and icings.

One of my favorite trees is the Hachiya persimmon tree. It's been very productive. This year I am a little worried about it, but for the past several seasons it has provided me with an abundance of fruit. Persimmon pulp freezes well, and it makes delicious breads and cookies. I enjoy eating them fresh, too, right off of the tree. They are very sweet and exotic tasting.

Growing fruit has been one of the most rewarding things I have experienced as a home owner. I have spent a lot of money on fruit, especially during the summertime. It's so refreshing and satisfying. Growing my own saves me money. It's also nice to have to give to neighbors and friends. Many people really appreciate home grown produce. It doesn't have any sprays, waxes, or bruises. Do you grow any fruits where you live? 

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, I haven't had fresh from the tree pomegranates since I was a kid. Yum. I would absolutely love a couple apricot trees just haven't figured out just where to put them yet. We have wild blackberries that are really a weed here as well as apples, pears, and at least 4 varieties of plums. Too cold for citrus:(. If you were closer, we could trade (or I'd just give you a bunch - we get more than we can eat.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that would be great. How nice that your fruit trees produce so well. I adore wild blackberries, apples, and plums. My plum and pluot trees didn't make it through the drought. I think the soil was just too bone dry. (in spite of watering with a hose.) Peaches and nectarines do really well here. I think it really helps to grow the fruits that thrive in your area.

    ReplyDelete