Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Planting a Front Garden

When I first moved into this cottage, it was as a renter. The house had been vacant for two years, and the yard was overgrown with brown weeds and Bermuda grass. "I don't have a gardener," the owner explained to me. It was going to be up to me to clean up and create something with this yard. I was teaching fifteen classes a week at the time, and driving all over creation to get to the different dance studios where I worked.

I read about lasagna gardening on the Soil, Compost, and Mulch Forum at Gardenweb. The soil in my front yard turned out to be clay. I knew that plants wouldn't grow here unless I amended it. I put layers of manure, straw, and Starbucks coffee grounds. I spread it all on top of the dead Bermuda grass. The technique worked, and when I dug into the mulch in the spring, I had nice, rich, dark soil. I was in business!

The first thing I did was to divide all of the irises. There were dozens of purple ones, and they looked gorgeous in bloom. There were also some daffodils planted in clumps, which I really liked. I added a couple hanging baskets of geraniums on the porch, and put some annuals in the window boxes. All of a sudden I had color, beauty, and variety. I planted a couple of conifers, and had them flank the front door. I thought they would make nice live Christmas trees at holiday time. It has worked out really well. They are so festive when decorated with colored lights. I love the look. It's simple and bright.

Hollyhocks have always been one my favorite old fashioned flowers. There were already lots of them growing wild all over the backyard when I moved here. I saved the seeds and planted some in the front, too. Sunflowers were another one that I was able to grow from seed, as well as four o'clocks.

I had some California poppies spring up in front of the mailbox. They looked so cheerful that I saved the seeds. Each year I sprinkle them in the same area. It's always fun to see them come back, year after year. Several people have commented on them. They are so easy to grow. Some neighbors gave me cuttings of dusty miller, red geraniums, and a starter aloe vera plant. Once people see that you are an avid gardener, they are often eager to share their plants with you.   

I now own this little cottage, and the front garden is one of my favorite aspects of it. It's like an outdoor room. I spend so much time on the old fashioned porch:

knitting, reading, writing, and communing with nature. The garden has made it a real special place. It just vibrates with health and beauty.

2 comments:

  1. Your cottage is gorgeous! Your hollyhocks are amazing. We are a tad bit cooler up here so mine are only about a foot and a half tall at the moment:). I bet your front yard is now beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lady Locust. Don't you just love hollyhocks? You're right; this is the prettiest time of year for my garden. It's still cool enough for the flowers to be comfortable and healthy. We have very hot, dry summers.

    ReplyDelete