Friday, May 12, 2017

Using Public Transportation and a Bicycle

I live in an area that has excellent public transportation. My cottage is a few blocks from the bus stop, and the buses run hourly. It's very convenient to hop on my bicycle, put the bike on the front bike rack of the bus, and take the bus in to town to run errands. Everything I need is just a few miles away. It's so convenient. I would probably ride my bicycle to the library, post office, and shops, but the highway I would have to take is too busy. It feels dangerous for pedestrians and bicyclists to me. The speed limit is 50 mph. So, I take the bus about five miles, and then use the bike paths to explore. We have over three hundred miles of bike paths where I live. Many of them are completely car free. They are limited to cyclists and pedestrians. It's nice to meander through the back areas that you don't see while driving. It's quiet and peaceful.

Yesterday I rode to Sprouts to pick up some fresh fruit. I stopped at the library to return my books on the way home. I use a backpack or bike trailer to carry what I buy. That leaves my hands free to steer, and makes it easier to balance. A lot of people smile at me from their cars as I ride by them. I must look kind of comical to them. I glide by on my one speed  beach cruiser wearing a bike helmet, a flowing sun dress, and sandals. The kids really seem to like it. Their faces always light up when I see them. I'm the same age as their grandmas.  It's ideal weather right now for riding. Not to hot, but still sunny and breezy.

Our train station is also just a few miles from my home. When I travel by Amtrak to visit family, I take the local bus stop a few miles, and then transfer to the Metro North. That takes me to Union Station, where I can travel by train to just about anywhere. For me, train travel is the ultimate luxury. The scenery, meals, sleeper cars, and slow pace all appeal to me. Trains  are an ideal place to knit, read, or write. Ours offer $10.00 day passes on the weekends.  It's fascinating to gaze into people's backyards as the train rolls by each of the neighborhoods. I just love it.    

2 comments:

  1. It's great that you have a good public transportation system in your area. And cycling is a good exercise too.
    I'm embarrassed to say that I can only ride a bicycle in a straight line and even that is only a couple of feet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so funny! I think it helps if you have ridden a bike as a child. That was my transportation to school and gymnastics for many years. It helped with the coordination. You're right, it is great exercise.

    ReplyDelete