Thursday, May 25, 2017

Making Your Own Body Butter





I have always loved the luxurious qualities of body butter. I used to buy it in a small tin for a reduced price at T.J. Maxx. I loved the smell of it, and the way it felt on my skin. I could never really justify the price, though. I went through it so quickly, and even on sale, it was very expensive. I settled for buying it once a year as a Christmas treat.


Now that I'm a soap maker, I have all the ingredients on hand. It's very inexpensive to make when you do it yourself, especially if you buy your ingredients in bulk. The recipe is flexible. I have made it with all shea butter, and also used half shea and half cocoa butter. You can also use mango butter. When I use all shea, I scent it with the same fragrance oils that I use in my soaps. I love the fruity scents. Those are the ones I always bought at T.J. Maxx.

When I use cocoa butter, I don't add any fragrance. The scent of the cocoa butter is intoxicating! It is just divine. I love it. It reminds me of Belgian chocolate. It also makes an excellent night cream for the face. It does such a nice job of conditioning the skin and  feels like such a treat. Here is the recipe:



1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup shea butter
1/2 cup cocoa butter

Melt the oils together on low heat. Transfer into a ceramic bowl, and place it in the freezer. Keep an eye on it, and when the edges start to solidify, mix it on high with an electric mixer, Whip the butter into peaks, and then transfer into a container with a lid. I store mine in the refrigerator.



This makes a decadent moisturizer to use after a shower. I love using it after bathing with a scented bar of hand made soap. Its the perfect skin softener.  It really makes the muscles and the skin shine.   

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recipe. I have everything except cocoa butter at home, so I'm going to try 1/3 of coconut oil, olive oil and shea butter and see how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nil, Rather that cutting it into thirds, I would suggest replacing the cocoa butter with shea butter. For this recipe you would use 1/2 cup olive oil,1/2 cup of coconut oil, and one cup of shea butter. I have made it that way, and it was fabulous. Too high of a percentage of coconut oil can dry out the skin. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete