Monday, May 15, 2017

Using Decorative Molds For Soap Making

When I first looked into soap making, I was very drawn to the soaps that were shaped like hearts and flowers. I especially liked the ones that looked like  roses. They were so feminine. I loved the look of molded soaps. There was something about them that I found so beautiful and artistic.

A friend of mine offered to give me her soap molds. She told me that she no longer used them. "Are you sure?" I asked. I was excited at her generosity.  I had slowly accumulated all of the other items that I would need: two large bowls, two spatulas, a candy thermometer, a  kitchen scale, and a stick blender. At first it seemed like a huge investment of money. I was afraid that I that would buy all of these supplies and then only use them once or twice. I had purchased what I needed slowly, over time. My Salvation Army had many of the items at a great price. The oils and lye I had already bought in a soap making  kit to get me started.

My friend assured me that she didn't need the molds. She said that she was just as happy using her recycled margarine containers. She added that her husband didn't use her soap, anyway, that he preferred to use Irish Spring. I couldn't believe it. My family washed with Dial soap and Irish Spring growing up, but I far prefer the homemade soaps. She was making the melt and pour variety, and adding color and scent. It has a different feel than cold processed soap. Maybe her husband just liked the green color and scent of Irish Spring. I wasn't sure. I thanked her and took the molds home. I was ecstatic at my good fortune. I had tried to find soap molds at our local craft store, but they didn't carry them. Now I finally had everything that I needed to get started!


For my first attempt, I made a batch of a simple olive and coconut  oil recipe. I filled the plastic molds with the batter, and let them sit on my kitchen table for a couple of nights, covered. After that, I put them in the freezer before I went to bed, so that they would harden. The next morning, after having a cup of hot coffee and writing in my journal, I unmolded them. Voila! They were so pretty. I was thrilled with the results. I placed them on my soap racks to cure for eight weeks. Once they were ready to use, I proudly brought my knitting friend a couple of bars as a thank you.

I have made soaps in a loaf pan and cut them, too. That's what most soap makers who sell their soaps do. I always go back to using the soap mold trays, though. I just love them. They make the soaps look like small sculptures. I love the way they look when they are sitting in the soap dish. They are so decorative. How about you? What is your method?

No comments:

Post a Comment