Friday, December 1, 2017

A Gorgeous Woodpecker at the Hummingbird Feeder


Yesterday I heard some chattering outside of my window as I was blogging. I glanced up, and saw this beautiful bird perched on the hummer's feeder. He was gulping down the sugar water. I gasped at his brilliance. His markings are just spectacular. I love how he's speckled with black and white dots, and how the pattern reverses on his belly.

This morning I cut up some green apples, and left them for him on the tray of the hummingbird feeder. He's returned twice today. So far he hasn't been interested in the fruit. He drinks the nectar enthusiastically. I'm just on the other side of this window, and my presence doesn't seem to bother him. His beauty just takes my breath away.


When my mom was alive, she used to watch the woodpecker as he tapped his beak on the poplar tree on the other side of the house. He gobbled up ants and bugs, and enjoyed the sap from the tree. I have a large pine tree in the backyard, and they love those, too. I can hear owls at night, as I lay in bed. Their sound is so soothing.

The hummingbirds are still visiting the feeder regularly. They are so petite and speedy. The woodpecker is much bigger than they are. He comes across as friendly and comfortable with people. There are Youtube videos on line with people feeding them suet out of their hand.


The artichoke plants are growing nicely. They were tiny starters that I bought in a six pack a couple of months ago. Soon they will be huge! I'm looking forward to the harvest.

I have seen sparrows, gold finches, scrub jays, robins, mourning doves, and a titmouse in the last week. The flowers, herbs, and fruit trees really seem to attract them.  What kinds of birds visit your garden?        

Thank you for your comments. I read them all, and greatly appreciate your input.

12 comments:

  1. Our chicken’s run seems to be attracting quite a few sparrows. They peck at bits of seed left on the ground whilst the chickens are out roaming the yard.
    I like the red on the woodpeckers head. I wonder how they came to be so comfortable around people. Just their personalities I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of sparrows visit my birdbath, Kylie. They're so sweet. I love watching them splash in the water together. Yes, the woodpecker is a real character. I feel so happy when he visits.

      Delete
  2. I love bird watching. I have counted 15 birds so far, visiting the bird feeder. My favorites are blue jays and cardinals, they are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's quite a variety if birds, Nil. I've never seen a cardinal. Their markings are so beautiful. I love the red, it's such a gorgeous shade.

      Delete
  3. beautiful bird indeed.
    we have lots of varieties here, mostly parrots, a few doves & pigeons Aussie ravens & magpies to boot; also lots of finch & wren varieties too.
    am trying to plant up a food forest for them as i don't believe in feeding them but will supply water.
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see the parrots, Selina. I keep a small woodpile in the backyard. That and the mulch give them a lot of insects and grubs. It's fun to plant flowers and citrus for the hummingbirds, too.

      Delete
  4. What a perfect spot for a feeder! I've never seen any bird other than hummers drinking from the feeders. That is such a handsome woodpecker and must have been a delightful surprise for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was, Jill. My heart leapt when I saw him. He is absolutely gorgeous!

      Delete
  5. We have lots of hummingbirds who visit our yard. I don't keep a feeder, but do plant lots of hummingbird friendly flowers which makes them happy. Well, as happy as those feisty little birds can be! We also have lots of black phoebes, finches, sparrows, wrens, doves, western oriels, and scrub jays. From Lake Hodges and the preserve we get many egrets, ducks, hawks and owls. And the awful crows which I am not too fond of for various reasons. I love watching birds! We don't get woodpeckers down this far south so it was nice to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that's wonderful that you get so many birds, Anita. We have a lot of the same ones here. I love watching them, too. The woodpecker is my very favorite. Once I saw a road runner, as well. They are so comical. I find the hummingbirds here love the pomegranate blossoms, citrus, four o'clocks, geraniums, and other tubular shaped flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How amazing and how beautiful. We sadly don’t seem to get any birds in our garden, I think our little dogs must scare them off (it’s not a very big space ) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Cheryl. I think so, too. Dogs are wonderful in the garden, too.

    ReplyDelete