Monday, December 4, 2017

In the Flow...



This morning I woke up at quarter to four, jumped out of bed, padded to the back door, and let out Lana. I made a small pot of espresso coffee, then heated it up with hot goat's milk and coconut milk on the stove. I sat on the couch with the Christmas lights on outside. I have done this since I was a little girl. I love it when the house is dark, and the Christmas trees are lit.  I felt very motivated to do some housework, so I got an early start.

After sweeping the floors, I mopped them with hot, soapy water. I used some of my homemade liquid soap and a tablespoon of baking soda in the water. I went over the floors a  second time with hot vinegar water. I am determined to clean my floors once a week, since that has been a weak area for me. I always used to procrastinate.

From there, I emptied my dresser drawers, and organized them. I was shocked to find about twenty bars of soap in bags that I had stored in the very back corner. Shame on me. I am basically up to my ears in soap at this time of year. I want to be able to fill every order. I can't always anticipate what people will want, so I make a variety.



I received a call from a friend a few hours later. She asked me if I had any goat's milk soap or lavender soap left for Christmas. I was amazed. That was exactly what I had discovered in the back of that sweater drawer. She ordered fourteen soaps, which was a wonderful surprise. I just finished writing out all of the labels and boxing up her package. I will deliver it tomorrow. We are meeting at a cafe to knit.


It was such an important lesson for me. I always have good things happen when I get organized. I now plan to do my cleaning early in the morning. It's when I have the most energy. The days are shorter now, and I feel tired by 6:30 or 7:00 p.m.! In the evenings it's nice to wind down, read, relax, and do yoga.

When do you do your housework? Do you have a set routine?

Thank you for your comments. They are a pleasure to read. I appreciate you taking the time to contribute to the blog. If you enjoy the articles here, please share them.

10 comments:

  1. Oh wow Stephenie you wake up really early.
    I too like routines. I do all my cleaning, laundry and most of the cooking on weekends. It's dark when I come home from work and I'm too tired to do cleaning on weekdays.
    It's wonderful that you receive many soap orders. Your soaps are so beautiful, and perfect as Christmas gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. When I first started, I gave out a lot of free soap samples. Now many of those people are ordering a dozen at a time. They do make really nice gifts. My family always requests them. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. You certainly got a lot done, your must feel on top of the world right now. I love rising early too and getting stuck into things. I have a routine which I stick to and it is the best way for me. I keep everything up to date.
    Enjoy the time knitting in the cafe with your friend.
    Your post is very motivating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie. It was fun. It does feel good to get the challenging work done in the morning. It sounds like your schedule works really well.

      Delete
  3. I prefer to do my chores very early in the morning, before showering. I always vacuum and mop before 6am, still dressed in my nightie and robe. I love the story about your finding soap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, That's what I'm starting to do, too. (fully caffeinated.) I was so happy to discover that soap stash. The bars were all the really well cured.

      Delete
  4. I like to get stuck in to my housework after my morning cuppa....normally in my night attire. Then I'll get showered and ready for the day ahead. My house if quite minimalist and doesn't take much. Love the soap. Have you posted how you make it.....I've probably missed. it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tania, I sell the soaps on Etsy at Pink Cottage Soaps. There's a recipe on the blog for milk soap makers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cottage looks gorgeous Stephanie and I adore your Christmas soaps. Have a wonderful day! Wendy (aka Emeline, NZ)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy/Emeline. The soaps are flying off the shelves. It's so much fun to get the soaps out in the world!

      Delete