Thursday, December 14, 2017

More Knitting and a New Article In the Works!



I've been working on this hat, to give to a friend of mine in New York. I started it yesterday morning. It's made with the leftover alpaca/merino/bamboo yarn that I used on his birthday scarf. I just love it. The colors are fabulous. They're so bright and cheerful. There may be enough yarn to make myself a hat like this, too. It goes so well with everything, especially jeans.

Hats are a pleasure to knit, because they are so quick and easy. I started this one on circular needles. I had to do four gauge swatches to get close to what the pattern required. It's thick and thin yarn, so it's a little confusing to count. I was still off by four stitches, but the hat fits. It's very soft and comfortable. I think a little big is far better than one  that's too tight and feels uncomfortable. Now that I'm at the decreases I'm working on long, double pointed needles.



Yesterday I sold a couple of soaps at knitting. When I arrived home, I had received another order on Etsy. This one was a Christmas gift, the soap of the month club. A very nice woman ordered six months of specialty soaps for her sister. For the ad I had used a photograph of some of my friends and I from "42nd Street" in Europe. She said that the picture is what drew her in to my shop. That was sweet of her to mention in her note. It always helps to know how people found you when you are in sales.


I submitted a query to DanceMagazine a few days ago, and they made me an offer. I will be writing an on line story on Tommy Tune and Chita Rivera. It will describe what it's like to be on tour with them. I think it's right up my alley, since I spent many months on tour with Tommy.  I have always loved Chita's work, as well. I am so excited to see them perform when they are here. I will get to interview them in their dressing rooms backstage, and also plan to watch rehearsal. What a treat!  After dinner, my friend and I will go back and see the show.  It's going to be just wonderful.    

How are things going with you? 

Thank you for your comments. I read them all, and greatly appreciate them. Please share any of the articles that you enjoy.

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new article, Stephenie.
    That's very good news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a very pretty beanie, though i'm not keen to knit thick & thin wool; had some that was donated, tension was all over the place! took me a few tries to get it right too. hope your friend likes the beanie.
    well done on your soap orders. your customer seems very nice & friendly. it's good that they write.
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Selina, I know what you mean about thick and thin yarn. The hat fits perfectly, though. It was a pleasure to make. He saw the photo and thinks it's really cute.

      Delete
  3. Excellent score with submitting that article query!
    Tommy is the consummate professional as well as one of the most gentlemanly, encouraging and specific teachers out there..
    Your article will definitely so justice to them both.
    Hoping this leads to some additional articles, as you have a unique and well rounded approach to dance review.

    That hat is glorious! Your friends will love it and those vibrant colors will cheer this dreary New York winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. I would love to talk with you sometime about your writing. I love the hat, too. Simple but colorful. He got a lot of compliments on the scarf, so this will complete the set.

      Delete
  4. The news about writing the article is very exciting. Please keep us posted on your progress. It must be fascinating to know such talented, legendary people. I envy you! The beanie is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Anita. I have been very fortunate in my career. I am another admirer. These two are the cream of the crop! I will keep you posted. Thank you for your interest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely gift you are making for your friend. Love the colours in the yarn too! How exciting to be interviewing and writing about someone you admire. Congratulations! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. My friend picked out the colors. They are so happy. Thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete