Friday, December 29, 2017

The Power of Home



For the past week I've been reading the articles that Laura Ingalls Wilder wrote for publications in the early 1900's. The recurring theme in her words and memories  is the importance of home. She really emphasizes how much it means to have a happy, content, and healthy living space. She believes that it is the key to well being. I agree with her.



My mother spent most of her days cooking delicious meals, and creating a clean and beautiful space for us in which to live. We always had scrumptious home cooked dinners. clean clothes, freshly washed bedding and towels, and plenty of fresh air circulating through the house. Our house radiated care. She was so dedicated and busy.

Now that I'm older I realize that we took all of her hard work for granted. I had never seen a dirty toilet or sink until I left home. My mother was so on schedule with her housework that she kept everything immaculate. When I would do my chores as a young girl, everything already seemed clean. She really kept up on it, and never let things go.



I agree with Laura about the home. I know that when things are tidy, well cared for, and organized in my cottage, I feel happy. Our surroundings are directly related to our self esteem. It's nice to have a snug and cozy place to relax and recharge. Staying in a routine with the duties of a home keeps us grounded and centered. If I don't stay up on my housework, I get down on myself and negative.

My house is also my place of work. I do my writing here, run the Etsy shop, make soap, and submit queries for magazine articles. It's a place to do yoga, practice songs, journal, and meditate. The birds are visible through the old fashioned windows, and the flowers in the window boxes are bright and cheerful.



The photographs I'm posting on the blog today are of the old ranch house that my dad's family used to own. It was built in 1860. It was glorious. It needed a lot of work, yet it still radiated  character, mystery, and charm. We spent many happy weekends there. It reminds me of the time that Laura was growing up in Minnesota, and on the prairie. I just love older homes. They are so special and unique. How about you?

Thank you for commenting. I read all of the comments, and  greatly appreciate them. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  

8 comments:

  1. I totally agree, home is such a special place, hopefully this time next year we will be in our own home again. I have had many jobs over the years but nothing satisfies me more than being a home maker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Simple Living. I know what you mean.

      Delete
  2. I love reading about simple living in our homes. To me the home is very important for family and friends who visit. It is where memories are created, souls are nurtured and love is shared.

    I really like to visit with my parents and I feel such a sense of peace being in familiar surroundings, with familiar faces.

    Gorgeous photos of such a beautiful home. I love Laura's simple ways too.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Tania. I enjoy visiting my dad, too. I enjoy having neighbor's over for coffee, or to crochet.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful place to be brought up. I agree the home is a powerful being. It provides so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does, Tania. The older I get, the more I appreciate what my parents have done in the home.

      Delete
  4. I love old houses with wrap around porches. They are indeed unique and have character.
    Your mom reminds me my mom and she also keeps a very neat and clean home. Though I didn't realize it when I was little, I learned a lot from her about housekeeping. It makes my life so much easier now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them, too, Nil. It does make life easier and more enjoyable.

      Delete