Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Enjoying the Rain



In Los Angeles we have been having some light, steady rain. It is such a treat! I know many of you live in places that get heavy rainfall. On the West Coast,  we have experienced several years of drought. I really feel excited and appreciative when I hear the patter of raindrops on my roof. It's such a welcome sound.  The garden and plants look so happy. I had just spread out some homemade compost underneath the citrus trees and artichoke plants. The timing was perfect.

Yesterday I received a private message from an Etsy customer, expressing interest in a pair of lace leg warmers that I  knit last year. I sent her a couple more photos, and she decided to purchase them. They are so colorful, and I just love the sock yarn that was used for them. It's by Viking of Norway. I bought it with a gift card from my brother, last Christmas.

One of the many things that I really like about Etsy is that you can earn money while you sleep. You never know when someone is at home shopping and browsing through you items. I am excited for her to receive these; they took a few days to make.  After messaging her, I decided to get  busy working on another set. This time I went stash diving, and selected some Austermann Step yarn that is exquisite. The colors are just gorgeous. It's German yarn that was hand dyed in the Czech Republic. The German yarns are my favorite sock yarns. They wear so well.


With this weather, I have been doing a lot more cooking and baking in my cottage. I got some excellent deals at the market today. Asparagus was only .99 a pound, so I bought a couple of bunches. I love it topped with homemade balsamic vinaigrette, and dipped in mayonnaise. I baked a few tiny potatoes in the toaster oven, and fried some Neiman Ranch bacon on the vintage stove. I love eating this type of food in the cold weather. It's hearty and delicious. It reminds me of living in Seattle with my family when I was a young girl. The days there were almost always rainy and cloudy. It's so relaxing and comforting. The dogs and I slipped in a bike ride when the rain abated.

I've been getting good use out of my hand knit shawls and sweaters. It's such a pleasure to wear them. All of that time and effort becomes makes something  practical and useful when it's slipped over your shoulders. I'm especially enjoying the shawl I'm wearing  because I got such an excellent price on the llama yarn. It's wonderfully soft and luxurious.

Thank you for your comments. They make blogging exciting and fulfilling. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. Comments in English only, please.         

12 comments:

  1. What beautiful flowers. I can't believe you have lavender blooming! Do you save the buds to dry for soap?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Locust. I don't use lavender buds in my soap, but do use it in teas and for storing wool sweaters.

      Delete
  2. It must be lovely to wear the knits you've made, Stephenie. They always look lovely when you show us what you've been making. Isn't rain just beautiful when it comes after a long period of dry weather. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meg. It's exciting to wear knits that you've completed. I love selling them as well. Yes, the rain is a Godsend. We had more last night!

      Delete
  3. Those pink flowers are beautiful. I also love lavender. We had several rainy days, so my plans for gardening didn't go well.
    Congratulations on your new Etsy order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. I guess you'll have to take a rain check on the gardening. It's so good for the soil, though.

      Delete
  4. Asparagus sounds lovely. We are having a very wet winter in my part of the UK. Looking forward to spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, Yes, it's a treat. Spring is already revealing itself here...

      Delete
  5. I used asparagus in our dinner today as well. I made a lovely quiche using asparagus and swiss cheese. We had almost a quarter of an inch of rain down south here in San Diego. The temperature has dropped and it is very chilly. I am pleased you were able to sell the hand knit leggings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. Your quiche sounds divine. We have had more rain, too. It's wonderful for the flowers and fruit trees. I am saving some for soap. Sold the cabled cashmere hat yesterday to a gorgeous knitter from Germany!

      Delete
  6. Yesterday I noticed the first tiny red tulip showing a hint of colour. Daffodil are popping up every where and the crocus are still beautiful. I have snowdrops, heather, primula and pansies all flowering just now.... and Spring hasn't even started here yet. I think love my garden best in April when it is an absolute riot of colour. Hopefully winter is now letting go and we have had the last of the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean, Cherie. April is gorgeous for the flowers. Glad to hear you are enjoying your beautiful garden.

    ReplyDelete