Sunday, March 4, 2018

Fixing Your Own Vacuum



The other day I googled my Shark vacuum cleaner model, because it wasn't picking up anymore. I found an excellent Youtube video on how to unclog it. Mine no longer had suction. The hose had a huge circular crack,  so I ordered a new one. Normally I would have taken the machine to our Vac and Sew repair shop. They charge $100.00 to clean it out and service it. Instead, I ordered a new hose for $30.00, plus shipping.

I was surprised at how easy it was to fix. Most of my problem was dog hair. There's a saying about German Shepherds, "They're wonderful dogs, but you will have a house full of hair." It's true. They shed like crazy. I used a pencil to poke at the elbows, and removed the clumps of dog hair.


I took out the filter, which was covered with dust. I was shocked at how thick and dense it was. I rinsed it thoroughly. It now looks like new. I let it air dry in the kitchen, with the window open,and then replaced it inside the canister. I cut off the hair from the rollers, and removed it. Tomorrow I will unscrew the head and give the inside a thorough cleaning.

I tried using the vacuum again, and the suction is now excellent. I cleaned the plastic with vinegar and water, and it looks like new! It's such a rewarding feeling to do your own home repairs. Many of these things really aren't difficult. With Youtube, there are all kinds of things we can learn.

Thank you for your comments. I am always thrilled to receive them. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. Comments in English only, please.

14 comments:

  1. Our Labrador sheds like crazy too, Stephenie. I always feel like I'm sweeping! It's great to be able to do repairs yourself. My husband recently fixed the doorknob on our back door with a little help from YouTube. It's great as a resource for learning some really useful skills. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is, Meg. I sweep and vacuum every day. It's such a pleasure to have the vacuum working again.

      Delete
  2. Good job Stephenie. You saved a lot of money by fixing the vacuum by yourself.
    After each use I wash the filter and the canister. Even a thin layer of dust can decrease the suction power.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!
    I love all the help and info available from the the web. Even when I can't fix something myself, it give me a good idea of what to expect and how to intelligently discuss the issue with the repair person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Jill. It's fun to fix things and learn how they are put together. I always assumed being mechanical was much more complicated than it actually is.

      Delete
  4. I didn't realize that, Nil. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be fixing our burst pipe as soon as the weather is a little warmer. Mr You Tube is a wonderful teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Cherie! That's fantastic; plumbers are SO expensive!

      Delete
  6. Way to go! And you saved at least $70 which is great. You deserve a cup of tea 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Locust. How about a pot of tea? Vacuums are simpler machines than I had realized.

      Delete
  7. Good for you! My vacuum, an upright Oreck, is almost 30 years old and still works like brand new because I take very good care of it. It was so expensive when I bought it! Lightweight and I love how it can go flat to vacuum under beds, chairs and couches. I have replaced the belts and wheels a few times myself, but I do take it into the local sew and vac every few years for an overall and check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thirty years is very impressive, Anita. I hope my Shark lasts a long time, too.

      Delete
  8. i've always had sealed vacs here so could never repair them myself, the only thing they would do was a service anyway. mostly the little vacs i bought were 'cheapies' (expensive cheapies at that) & didn't last 5yrs.
    i don't own a vac now & just sweep the floors, not having carpet is a godsend when you have shedding pets!
    well done on your repairs too.
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Selina. This one was over $300.00, but it is an excellent vacuum. I think it will last several more years. (I hope.) I enjoy sweeping the floors, too.

      Delete