Thursday, March 22, 2018

Mourning



Yesterday I found out about the Cirque acrobat who died after falling during the show. I was just sickened. It brought back so many memories of accidents that I witnessed as a professional dancer, dancing in those huge production shows in Las Vegas and Reno.

I eventually left MGM in Las Vegas, at age 33, because I didn't feel safe. I don't say this to blame them, I just missed being in shows like A Chorus Line, 42nd Street, and My One and Only, that relied on talent, dancing, and excellent choreography. I also loved dancing in the nightclub acts of Juliet Prowse and Suzanne Sommers. To me, that was so much more fun and rewarding. It was a blast!  The special effects and technology had taken over many of the large shows, and I found that the risks and problems made me very nervous. They were spending millions of dollars keeping up with the competition. I saw the same trend in some of the Broadway productions, too. Dancers were also getting injured there.

My first show was Hello Hollywood, Hello! at the MGM Grand Hotel in Reno. I remember being asked by the dance captain  if I was afraid of heights. I answered that I wasn't. I was placed in the Heatwave number up at the very top platform. I think it took 54 steps to get up there. I was fine with the challenge at that age. I actually thought that it was good exercise. I was nineteen. 

Once I got older, and was dancing in EFX at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, my attitude had changed. By then I had witnessed some terrible accidents. One trapeze artist who had a solo act had fallen on his way sliding down the rope, coming down from the trapeze. He was badly hurt, and ended up in a wheelchair. He had been a professional circus performer. It was devastating. I had always hated that act. I couldn't watch it. It made me terribly nervous.

A close friend of mine had fallen after doing a front somersault in rehearsal. He landed on his chin and broke his neck. At just 22 years of age, he was paralyzed. It was heart wrenching. He was a young, vibrant, talented dancer.


There were other stories, as well. From those experiences I learned to say no to situations that felt unsafe to me. I flew up in those harnesses in one of the scenes in EFX, because I understudied the leading lady. I actually loved flying, and felt very comfortable up in the rafters, even euphoric. I still remember the man that would help me into the harness. He was kind, responsible, and reliable. After doing some research, I learned that a French acrobat slipped out of her harness in one of the Cirque shows at MGM in 2013, and fell. She died that evening. She had two young daughters. It's just tragic. It really gets me, because I performed in those theaters, and put my make-up on is those dressing rooms. I'm praying for their families, and for all of the performers.

I personally hope the shows stop trying to be bigger and more spectacular. Talent is entertaining. Shows should be fun, not dangerous and frightening. I stopped doing the big shows when I found myself constantly praying that we wouldn't  get hurt. To me, performing should be about enjoying the music, dancing, costumes, and experience.       

Thank you for your comments. I read them all, and greatly appreciate them. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. Comments in English only, please.

8 comments:

  1. Wow! It's not a realm I follow (not even TV) but I had no idea. I would agree as I have been to a couple of theaters. Performers should not get hurt (or die) to entertain others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have t.v., either, Lady Locust. The trend in theater is towards these spectacles.

      Delete
  2. I share your concerns and worries and am sorry that this has triggered those old fears all over again.
    The need for ever grander spectacle and over the top visuals versus talent and well crafted theater, endangers both the performers and theater arts themselves. It also robs the audience of the unique and magical experience of true performance arts.
    Artists are put in the very difficult position of risking not getting work at all or possibly incurring injuries that end a career.
    A lifetime of training and dedication should not be compromised this way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So well written Jill, as always. Thank you. I am working on a piece for Dance Magazine on this subject.

      Delete
  3. I did hear about the Cirque performer who died and was very sad. I have never seen a real extravaganza show, the closest one I suppose was Lion King years ago in Boston. Any knitting going on at your cottage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Yes, it was tragic. The Lion King performers also had severe injuries due to the weight of those costumes. Yes, I am knitting socks, leg warmers, and a hat! How about you?

      Delete
  4. Oh Stephenie, I too read about the death of the Cirque acrobat. It's so sad. it must have been so hard for you to see your fellow dancers getting injured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really upsetting. There is an excellent article in Vanity Fair. I stopped auditioning for these types of shows when I saw the trend. It's not worth the risk to me.

      Delete