Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Staying Healthy and Fit



I've been reading a very interesting book called  Ten Reasons You Feel Old and Get Fat...and How You Can Stay Young, Slim, and Happy. It's by Frank Lipman, M.D. So far it's been a fascinating read. Since I taught yoga for so many years, I can relate to his observations about his patients. A lot of what he recommends is old fashioned common sense. Much of it coincides with ideas that I have felt intuitively, over the years.

With the exception of when I had osteoarthritis in my hips, I have always been a very healthy and fit person. As a child, I would routinely win the perfect attendance awards. My brothers and I were very active. We were constantly outside playing, riding our bikes, and participating in sports. It was so healthy and invigorating. Because we grew up in California, we could be outdoors all year long.

During recess at school, my classmates and I would run around on the playground. I loved practicing gymnastics on the monkey bars with my schoolmates. I was constantly making up dances and teaching them to my friends.

I am seeing, at age 53, that adding movement is really the key to my well being. When I get a good cardio workout on my bicycle, I notice that I sleep better, feel happier, and am tired and relaxed at night.

Today I went to the gym and tried a yoga class. I was pleased that I was able to do everything. It's been two and a half years since I had my hips replaced. I have been doing yoga at home, regularly. Taking a class is another story. You are following someone else's lead, and they have a different rhythm and routine.

I'm realizing that I feel at my optimum when I exert my body for about two hours per day. This seems like a lot, but it's the ideal amount for me. When I was younger, I worked out for several hours per day.  I suspect that the reason that so many women feel sluggish, depressed, and negative is because they need more exercise. For me, it really is the key to feeling upbeat, happy, and healthy. It feels good to have the body humming with a sense of well being again. How do you feel? Would you describe your fitness routine as ideal, or does it need tweaking?

Thank you for your comments. I greatly appreciate them. If you enjoy the articles here, please share them. Comments in English only, please.

12 comments:

  1. i think there are many "reasons," but not letting our children work and the increased screen time are huge. There is a feeling of accomplishment with a good workout, either in the gym or stacking wood. That's good for body and soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, being sedentary causes a multitude of problems in the body and mind. I love the rush of endorphins. That electricity is really related to well being.

      Delete
  2. I love to walk, out in the open air with the sun on my shoulders and nature all around. I go for long walks regularly and in between times, I walk our dog close to home. It just makes me feel good:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love walking and hiking in nature, too. Even just spending time in the front garden uplifts me. There's nothing like it.

      Delete
  3. I am 61.5 years old😊 and stay fit walking and exercising. It is important to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that you make it a priority, Tania. It is important.

      Delete
  4. I like walking and yoga. I do yoga but not daily. As a child I was very healthy runing around and playing with my sisters and neighborhood kids, but I didn't do sports etc. I have a high metabolism so far. In fact I don't mind gaining a pound or two. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you eat very well, too. All the gardening you do is great exercise, too.

      Delete
  5. I always feel better and more centered after my routine walk. The routes around home are very hilly and I go at a 3.5 mile per hour pace. I try to do at least 20 miles a week, 4 to 5 miles at a time. In my youth and young adulthood I was very fit, but as professional obligations became greater it was impossible to spend the daily hours on exercise. However, I am probably the healthiest old lady (60 years) you would ever meet. And I think that is due to being fit in my youth. I am too terrified and shy to ever try yoga in a public group.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That's a lot of walking, Anita. Good for you. It counteracts all the sitting we do while knitting. You sound very fit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have lost my exercise mojo, it went and hasn't come back. Maybe now it the time.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deb! Thanks for the comment. No time like the present, as the saying goes. Hope your exercise mojo returns.

      Delete