Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Artichokes From The Garden For Dinner



This morning I harvested the first artichokes of the season. I love growing these plants; they get large so quickly. They remind me of pumpkins.  You can almost watch them grow. I made a pot of beef stew this afternoon, and enjoyed a big ceramic bowl of it for lunch and dinner.  I started by dipping the pieces of meat in flour, then browned them in olive oil, and seasoned the  beef with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.


I added carrots, onion, celery, potatoes, a turnip, a parsnip, and several minced cloves of garlic. After letting it  simmer on the vintage stove for a couple of hours, the flavors blended. It made a very tasty, hearty beef stew.


Yesterday I went over to a friend's house for lunch. She made us a delicious spinach salad, and we had fresh strawberries and cafe au lait for dessert. After visiting with her, I went to the market and bought the produce for the week. 

Today Lula and I went to visit her family. She was so excited to see the children. She was running and jumping for joy. It was really sweet. How is you day going?

14 comments:

  1. Your stew sounds amazing! I'm glad you enjoyed your creation.

    Worked today, then shopped for groceries, picked up kids, ate dinner, now I'm off to do my workout for tonight, time to watch a show we taped, then hopefully an early night. Tomorrow is very busy with a board meeting tomorrow night so a quiet night tonight is welcome.

    Enjoy your evening!

    X Chy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chy, Hope you enjoyed your workout. Family life is busy for moms.

      Delete
  2. I love beef stew and your ingredients sound yummy... I've only seen artichokes growing once, in Australia and wished that I could cultivate them, however, we don't have the proper climate.
    Here, we have short summers and long winters, for instance, we're having more snow tonight and it's the middle of April...Can't believe it ...Hopefully Spring is just around the corner....Incidently , I love the holly hocks on your main page... Beautiful.... Have a lovely week...Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zaa, Thank you for commenting. Sometimes I buy artichokes from Canada, and they get so much snow! So glad you love the Hollyhocks. They are my favorite old fashioned flower.

      Delete
  3. How lovely that you were able to harvest artichokes from your garden! I've never grown artichokes; I wonder if they will do well, here? Your beef stew sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. They are very easy to grow in Los Angeles. The nurseries usually have them for sale with the cold weather vegetables. They get huge! They need a lot of space.

      Delete
  4. What beautiful, healthy plants! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. I love this little garden. It's filled with herbs, citrus trees, flowers, and vegetables.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like we make beef stew just about the same way! I simmer mine in the slow cooker though. I love, love, love turnips in stew. I remember in the mid 1960's when artichokes became all the rage. My mom would steam them and serve them with a wonderful mayo/vinegar/garlic dipping sauce. I bet Lula had a good nights sleep after her visit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love turnips, too, Anita. My friend had them raw in the salad that she served. They were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never eaten artichokes but it is on our 'to try' list. No idea when is the best time of year for them... how do you cook/eat yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I either boil them or bake them with fresh lemon juice and Itslian salad dressing. I want the leaves and heart dipped in mayonnaise. My plants bear twice a year, Cherie.

      Delete
  8. The day has just begun here, Stephenie, and I've uncharacteristically slept in. I did that yesterday too (which is usually unheard of) so think my body is saying it's tired! I left a big bowl of breakfast muffin mix soaking in the fridge overnight. Soon, once the oven is up to temperature, I will add the remaining ingredients and bake these. The rest of the day will be just a slow and simple one here. Your artichoke looks amazing; it's wonderful to watch produce growing in the garden. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice that you slept in Meg. I can just picture you at home, baking muffins.

      Delete