Sunday, April 7, 2019

Driving An Older Car

green hills in Ojai


Having a reliable,  older car can save you a tremendous amount of money. I drive mine roughly once a week, combing my errands. By doing this, I keep the mileage low. That keeps my car repair and maintenance costs down, too. Most of the newer cars run for over 200,000 miles. A Honda can go way beyond that, but I plan to keep my VW Beetle. I think it will last me through  retirement. Right now it has 50,000 miles on it. 

As you get older, you realize that it's all of the little habits that really add up when saving money. When I first moved to LA,  I drove all over creation. I commuted from Torrance to Santa Monica each morning, for dance classes. I returned in the heavy 405 traffic at night. I picked up friends and gave them rides, and often drove them home. It never occurred to me how far out of the way I was going.  I just liked their company, and was happy to spend time with them.   That's how teenagers are, very social.


purple iris in my cottage garden

I would volunteer to take car loads of friends to the beach,  the mall, and to Hollywood. We loved shopping in Venice and on Melrose. As I got older, I traveled long distances to auditions, to relocate to perform in shows, and to visit my family.


flowers on the fence in Ojai
Now that I'm in my fifties, and more mature, I calculate the cost of everything that I'm doing. I plan ahead for oil changes, new tires, gas, car washes, and repairs. I had no concept of these things when I was  young.  I enjoy taking the train, the bus, and traveling by boat. In order to indulge in a vacation, I need to really watch what I purchase, on  a daily basis. Jean Chatzky says  that the average person spends $3,000. a year on eating out and buying coffees.  Now that I rarely do those things, I can save that money for travel. That's when I splurge. When on a ship, I eat in the places that are included in the fare. I skip the drink package, and make coffee in the room. I fill up my water bottle at the stations, rather than buying bottled water. I attend the shows that are included, and budget for a visit to the spa or something special. It makes such a difference in the final bill. What small things do you do to save money?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them. 

14 comments:

  1. Although we often eat 'out' we very rarely pay for it, as it's usually a picnic.
    I don't like to think how I would just spend without thinking in my younger days. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Picnics are wonderful, Jules. I rarely eat out, but when I do, it is SUCH a treat!

      Delete
  2. VW Beetles are long lasting cars, aren't they? My current car will be 5 years old, this summer. Each previous car I've had, I've driven for over 10 years and over 100,000 miles. When I used to live in Hollywood, I used to take the bus to work and back; in fact, for almost a period of 1 year, I didn't have a car. But, after I moved to the Valley, I've needed a car. I used to drive an average of 50 miles a day to work and back. Later, when my daughter was attending UCLA, I used to drop her off on campus and drive to work and reverse the journey in the evening! I used to drive about 100 miles a day, then! Now, I am retired and I drive the car a lot less and for shorter distances. Not sure how long this present car will last me, or, even, if it will be my last car!

    I don't eat out that much and, when I do, it's all budgeted for - I allow myself $25 per month for eating out. Adds up to $300 per year - just 10% of what the "average" person you mentioned is supposed to spend. I don't travel, much, however, so that's an expense I don't have. Other ways I save money - I don't get my hair professionally cut, I don't color it, I borrow books from the library rather than buy them, and I look for sales. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a smart budget, Bless. I used to allow myself $20.00 a month for eating with my knitting group. Those are great tips for saving money. I use henna, and color my hair at home.

      Delete
  3. We have one small car and one larger one (both Hondas, our first at buying that brand). We hope to keep them a long time. We use the small car for trips to save on gas but many months out of the year there is snow here and too dangerous to take the smaller car (handles very poorly on snow). Traveling does literally "eat up gas"! Beautiful country-side photos. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. Ojai is so beautiful. It sounds like you have it all worked out with the cars and the snow.

      Delete
  4. I agree that it is the little things that add up to savings, Stephenie. When we were younger, in our twenties, we'd think nothing of splurging on meals out or takeaway if we were tired. Now, we choose to eat at home. Last night, while my son had a sleepover with friends, we could easily have gone out for dinner but that would've cost anywhere between $50-$70. That's not money I'm happy parting with anymore. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Meg. I eat at home most of the time, too. From your photos, it looks like you are an excellent cook and baker.

      Delete
  5. We like to keep our cars as well. Mine is now 9 years old and has only 33,000 miles on it. I do have to admit I spent the last 12 years traveling a lot on business so the car did spend most of time in the garage. Now that we are retired we spend days without going any place that requires the car. Luckily we have some stores within walking distance. There is no useful public transportation in our suburban area. It sounds like your cruise vacation is coming up fast!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a lot of at home days, too, Anita. Having public transportation available is so convenient. They plan to have driver-less vans here in the future.

      Delete
  6. Like you I too try to save by doing things like driving less, eating home cooked meals etc. And save money for travel.
    I live close to work. It's not close enough to walk, but it's less than 10 miles round trip. I hope my car will last through my retirement. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Your trips always sound so exciting. I bet your car will last you for a long time. That's excellent that you live so close to where you work.

      Delete
  7. We never, ever buy takeaway food. Although I eat out with friends a couple of times a month, it's rarely in a 'good' restaurant but having lunch in a pub is something I really enjoy. Take away coffees are never bought and I drink the complimentary coffee at the gym with my friends. I do my daughter in law's ironing in exchange for a wash & blow dry (she's a hairdresser). I buy few clothes and keep what I have for ages. I'm not averse to buying from ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's great, Eloise. All of that savings will really add up over time.

    ReplyDelete