Saturday, February 8, 2020

A Kind Hiker

The other day on our hike, I accidentally left my rod iron bar near the trail after taking a water break.  It has a leather handle, and I use it on our walks every day.  Between juggling my backpack, water, Lula's water dish, and leash, I forgot the bar.

Our hike was six miles, and once I realized that I didn't have it,  the thought of going all the way back to the creek depressed me.  It was just too far.  I was upset with myself for forgetting, but hoped that someone would find it who could use it.

Once we arrived back at the parking lot,  I sat on a wooden bench under the Eucalyptus trees  to rest for a minute. I gave Lula another dish of water, and drank from my now almost empty container.  After catching my breath, something made me walk over to the display where they have information posted about the trail and local wildlife.

There was my rod iron bar!  Someone had carefully propped it up against the display.  I felt elated.  What a joy to experience the kindness of strangers.  Now I won't have to spend money on another walking stick.  It's also good excellent protection against loose dogs. 

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

24 comments:

  1. Smart to carry that for those two reasons! And so nice of the person to return it...very thoughtful. And heart-warming. Wow...6 miles! Impressive. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. It's a really fun trail. The second half is all downhill.

      Delete
  2. I like to think most people are kind. You must have been thrilled to discover your bar again. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was, Jules. It was very thoughtful of them to leave it there.

      Delete
  3. It's a wonderful feeling when you are repatriated with something you believe was gone forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is Frugal in Essex. I wish I could have thanked the person who found it.

      Delete
  4. It's heart warming to hear of acts of kindness. I think most people are kind but it's usually the horrible ones that make the news

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Cherie. I love this walking stick. I use it every day.

      Delete
  5. That was lovely! It is so nice to be reminded of kindness

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's wonderful that whoever found your walking bar left it there for you to find it again. It's lovely when people choose to be honest and kind. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Meg. It's really fortunate that I walked over to that area; I usually don't.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad that someone had found your iron bar and left it where you could find it! There are some very kind people out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great act of kindness. It is heartwarming, isn't it?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy, Yes, it is. Thanks for reading and for commenting.

      Delete
  9. The kindness of strangers :-)
    I am glad you got your walking stick back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How kind people can be. If only everyone was so thoughtful the world would be a much nicer place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This has happened to me before, with my money pouch, Pensive Pensioner. I feel very fortunate.

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful story. I always believe there are honest, thoughtful and kind people in the world despite others attempting to make us believe otherwise.

    ReplyDelete