Monday, February 3, 2020

My Bicycle Tour of Mallorca on NCL

the beach in Mallorca
When I took my cruise on NCL's Epic in November, one of my favorite stops was Mallorca.  I had learned about this island in my Spanish class in 8th grade.  I had also stayed in a small home there with a friend when I was twenty-six.  While on a short layoff from the European Tour of "42nd Street" we cashed in our plane tickets back to New York. Instead, we rented a lovely little modest white beach house.  It was furnished and very reasonably priced for the month.

we rode through the narrow streets to this plaza with comfortable outdoor cafes

This tour through NCL greatly exceeded my expectations.  I saw things that I had never seen on my last visit.  We rode through the old city, admiring the architecture, beauty, and the beach.  It was really exciting to zoom through the cobblestone streets.  We passed several people on walking tours, and one person riding in a horse drawn carriage.  I was happy that I had chosen to be part of the bike tour.

I was not expecting to see a Starbucks

The tour guide asked us several questions about Spain: its history, culture, and people.  I was almost the only person who answered.  I felt a little self conscious, but my teacher at Aragon High School had drilled the details of Spanish food, music, dance, art, and architecture into our minds with enthusiasm.  It all came back to me.

returning to the ship after the tour

No one else in the group had that kind of background.  I silently thanked Senora Kotter for her excellent teaching.  She was so passionate.  She had told us that if as Americans we ever went to Spain, she wanted us to be able to converse, and to know the culture and the history.  I was amazed how as the guide spoke, I remembered almost everything.  It was magically coming alive, through the scenery. 

Mrs. Kotter insisted that we only speak Spanish in her class.  If we didn't understand something, we had to ask her about it, in Spanish.  It worked.  I was able to communicate with the taxi drivers in Barcelona easily.  They seemed relieved.  Sometimes, I had to ask them to speak more slowly, but we had an intuitive understanding.  I lapsed into Spanish while answering the bike tour leader's questions.  "You speak Spanish?" he asked me.  It was only then that I realized what had happened, that I had verbally slipped into the Spanish terms.  I could hear the words in my head.

I would like to go back and spend much more time there.  Mallorca was so special and romantic.  I was impressed with how clean everything was.  We stopped for a quick drink and snack,  then returned our bikes to the shop.  Our excellent guide walked us back to the Epic.  We were home again.  I was eagerly looking forward to dinner and a ballroom show that evening.  Cruise life is for me. 

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated. 

14 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! And what a good teacher....she was passionate and professional and conscientious! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right, Andrea. She was a marvelous teacher. She was also in love with an American bullfighter in Spain. She moved there, married him, and taught English.

      Delete
  2. It looks like a wonderful place to visit! I'm so glad you enjoyed it and knew enough Spanish to converse in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, It is so beautiful there. I hope to return someday.

      Delete
  3. It looks beautiful. The bike tour sounds a wonderful way to take in the city. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules. It was exciting to zip around with the bike tour.

      Delete
  4. wow, lovely! what a great teacher too!
    love reading about your cruises
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Selina. She was fantastic...just brimming with enthusiasm.

      Delete
  5. I have never been anywhere in Spain except Barcelona so I enjoyed reading about your adventures and seeing the wonderful pictures. Your Spanish teacher sounds like she was a true inspiration to you. Only 9 months until my next cruise!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting, Anita! I love looking back at the pictures, too. Europe is so beautiful.

      Delete
  6. Our brains are amazing, I wasn't allowed to learn French at school (fathers opinion on girls education) but always loved the language and picked up a few words here and there. After nearly 2 weeks in Paris I sometimes started to think in my limited but growing French .

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like it came very naturally to you, MargaretP. Languages are wonderful for the mind and soul. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like a beautiful place. The beach looks quiet and serene, not like crowded beaches here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nil, Yes, it was empty in November. It's just gorgeous there!

    ReplyDelete