Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Suze Orman's Fabulous New Book On Retirement

My Aunt Mary and my mom.  Mary had a fantastic retirement... traveling, seeing shows, and eating at restaurants.  She worked as a secretary for the president of American Can in San Francisco.  She was the fastest typist there, and was exceptionally good at math.


I just received Suze Orman's new book on retirement on my mom's Kindle yesterday.  She used to read it every day, and  I inherited  it.  She loved to watch Suze's television show at night with my dad, too.  There are several free episodes from that show that came with my pre-order on www.amazon.com for the book.
It's been so fun to listen to them on my mini ipad while I cruise through my housework. 

I have been devouring the material.  It is so helpful.  Suze is an expert on retirement, and she knows the problems that most people run into, especially if they are unprepared.  She gives excellent advice.  It is really helping me to understand taxes, annuities, IRA's, and other subjects that used to make me dizzy.

I love the section on your home.  This is such a big issue for us as we age.  When my hips were really deteriorating with arthritis, I had a crash course in being disabled.  It was such a shock not to be able to do the normal things that take for granted as adults.  I like how Suze recommends that we set up our living space so it's comfortable and workable while we are still young.  Fortunately, in my case, I healed my arthritis through hip replacement surgery and changing my diet.

My cottage is actually the perfect retirement home.  It's small, just one story, is super close to town and the bus stop, and I'm very near friendly neighbors.  I can easily see myself getting old here.  Both of my parents died in hospice at home, and I hope that I am able to do the same.  We never know how our life story will end...Are you ready for retirement?  If you have already retired, how is it going?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo. I like Suze's advice also. Retirement age comes so quickly in life. I think most people are blindsided by it. (Not me, thanks to my husband's planning). I hope the same....to stay in my home with hospice and not a retirement home! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that your husband planned well for your retirement, Andrea. You are wise to be thinking about the future.

      Delete
  2. I will look for Suze's book. Like your home, my house has many good features for aging in, being one story, no steps to enter it, not far from downtown and food shopping, etc. I am retired and love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fabulous, Terra! It's a wonderful feeling to be happy with the home you plan to use for the rest of your life. Congratulations.

      Delete
  3. It's good to plan for retirement as early as you possibly can. I've been retired for over a year, now, and it's going very well, so far. I've no complaints or regrets. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fantastic, Bless. I am always happy to hear about people who are prepared for and enjoying their retirement.

      Delete
  4. We planned for and took early retirement and so far it has been going well and have no regrets. So glad that you are preparing your home and surroundings for every eventuality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, mm. That's exciting that you were able to retire early. I'm glad that it's working out so well for you.

      Delete
  5. Our retirement plans were well established years ago. We both earned excellent salaries and kept our debts few-usually only the mortgage. Steve retired 3 years ago and I retired the same day one year later (and yes, we are that precious). We have not had to touch our retirement savings or the interest yet; we live easily on Steve's pension and SSI. I will not even need to take my SSI for several more years. We live well, travel in style, and enjoy the simple life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine all of the interest that you saved, Anita. You sound very disciplined. I love that you are able to travel in luxury, as well.

      Delete
  6. It's reassuring to know you have plans in place, that way you can get on with enjoying the here and now. It is something I should give some serious thought to. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is reassuring, Jules. We need our money to last a long time. It takes planning, research, and organization.

      Delete
  7. Pre-planning retirement is a requirement these days with the cost of living only going higher. Thank you Stephenie for introducing some of us readers to Suze Orman's book about retirement. I purchased it on my kindle too and is in the process of reading it. Every aspect of retirement has been covered by her and I too love the part about home. Appreciate you sharing a lovely memory of your mom with your aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Planning for retirement is a must do and you have some good suggestions. Thanks. I am retired and we live half the year in Florida in a 1 and half bedroom condo. It is so manageable and practical. In addition, we have a lovely balcony .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi judee, Thanks for reading and for commenting. That sounds like a wonderful arrangement. As I get older, I find that I love spending time in my tiny cottage during the winter. It's so sunny, warm, and bright. Your balcony sounds perfect.

      Delete
  9. Hi Andrea, Thank you for reading and for commenting. I'm glad you are enjoying Suze's book. I have to read it again. Inflation is a big part of retirement. We have to account for it. The older we get, the more we experience sticker shock.

    ReplyDelete