Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Replacing or Repairing the Roof

Today I am getting an estimate from a local roofing company on replacing my roof.  Part of the covering blew upward and ripped during our last windstorm.  The metal pieces that held it on flew off onto the ground.  It looks like it can be repaired.  If not, I'll replace it.  I climbed up on a ladder, unrolled the material, and put a heavy piece of flagstone and a brick on top of it.  That's holding it in place for now.  

Fortunately, I have been planning on putting some money into the roof for the past year.  It's been excellent; I've never had a leak n the twenty years that I've owned it.  We'll see what the estimator says.  It's a tiny cottage, so it shouldn't be too expensive.  This is one of the instances when having a smaller home really helps with the home maintenance budget.

I am doing laundry while I wait.  I made arrangements to have my Dad's car shipped up to the cabin.  It only has 37,000 miles on it and it gets excellent mileage.  I am excited to have a vehicle that will fit a bicycle and maybe a kayak inside of it.  I will keep the twenty year old VW Beetle that belonged to my mom.  It is still going strong.

Do you budget yearly for your home repairs?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

 

21 comments:

  1. Hoping they can repair it for you relatively easily. That will be nice to have a way to haul your bike. I bet biking around there will be wonderful come summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a good idea to budget for general home repairs. With the recent unpredictable weather we never know what's around the corner.
    I hope your estimate is reasonable. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope our roof is fixed soon so you won't have to worry!

    Yes we do save each year for repairs, even with our new house. We have a few bank accounts: house, vacation, retirement (x 2), celebrations and emergency funds. Then our regular, every day account for bills and life. Lots to figure out each month.

    Have a great evening!

    X Chy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like you have your finances very well organized, Chy. That's excellent.

      Delete
  4. That was how we got so many repairs and renovations done at our place -slowly, a bit at a time. Good on you for getting on to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I've been fixing up the cottage, too, earthmotherwithin. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Hope the roof can be repaired and hopefully, it won't cost too much. Hope, too, that it can be fixed soon. Yes, I do budget yearly for home repairs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to replace it, Bless. Fortunately, it is a small roof, and can be finished in a day.

      Delete
  6. I'm saorry you've had some damage but it's good that you have the wherewithal to get it repaired.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I think it will look beautiful once it's replaced.

      Delete
  7. We need to repair or replace the garage roof which has a bad leak. As soon as the weather fairs up we will look into it. I hope your (and our) repair isn't too expensive

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes we do budget for maintenance. Hope all goes well with your rood repairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mm. I think it will go smoothly. I love getting home repairs done.

      Delete
  9. Yes, we keep money set aside for repairs and general maintenance. It always amazes to see homes that are going to rack and ruin from lack of basic routine care like painting. We had some cracked roof tiles replaced about 18 months ago and the roofer said our roof was in very good repair. Thanks goodness. Let us know what the roofer says! I am hoping you get good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, It needs to be replaced. I am waiting to receive the written estimate from the company. There is more work to be done. A new fence and some painting is in the future.

      Delete
  10. I hope it's only a small repair and the estimate is reasonable. You are smart to save for home repairs.

    I also save monthly for home repairs and just the other day decided to increase it a bit. Replacing a roof can be expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. It needs to be replaced. I am looking forward to having the work done.

      Delete
  11. On a rainy day, nothing is more comforting than to know you have a good roof over your head! You will be grateful when the work is done. Andrea

    ReplyDelete