Thursday, February 13, 2020

Whisperings From My Mother

The last time I went home to my parents' house, to go through their things, I gathered up my mother's recipes.  She was an excellent cook.  I was sad to realize that her hand painted ceramic recipe box had broken.  I carefully threw it in the trash.  I was wishing that I had brought some blank  recipe cards with me.  She always used the 3" by 5" ones. 

My intuition nudged me to look in the bottom cabinet in the breakfast room.  "Check on the bottom left shelf," the voice urged.  There I found a tool box containing two unopened boxes of recipe cards, plus some tools that will come in handy to have up at the cabin!  I was amazed. 

"Thanks Mom,"  I whispered.  I never would have thought of looking down there.  I came home and carefully organized all of the recipes in my vintage tin.  I am rewriting the ones I had on faded, old, wrinkled paper.  I had been meaning to buy some new cards; I had run out of them.  It's a relief to get them all organized.

It's amazing how we can stay energetically connected with people after they pass away...I was so touched.

Do you feel the presence of anyone close to you who has died?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.   

24 comments:

  1. What a wonderful discovery and now you'll always think of your mother when you use them. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Jules. We used to do a lot of cooking together.

      Delete
  2. I haven't experienced anything similar, but I have seen loved ones (grandpa and dad) in dreams when I was in stressful situations and I felt better. It's like they watch over me, and come to tell me that everything is going to be alright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's wonderful, Nil. It sounds like you are more visual. I am more auditory.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely! Your mom is still "with you" and loves you. How special to have her recipes and the meaningful little nudge to look in the cabinet as a memory to connect to them. Also - Fun! Good recipes are always a treat. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lady Locust. I feel like she is really watching out for me. She has helped me so much in difficult situations the past year.

      Delete
  4. That is a lovely story! I believe our loved ones are never far away from us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The older I get, the more I sense the same thing, emw.

      Delete
  5. Wow, Stephenie! How awesome that you could sense your mother directing you to where the index cards were! Yes, I, too, have felt the presence of my mother. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely to have the recipe cards and to be writing out some recipes again to keep in your tin.

    I lost a beautiful friend many years ago now and I felt the loss of her in the air around me on the morning she passed away...as if the universe drew it's breath in. I can't explain it but I felt it and I knew at that moment that she had gone. I think we can have very strong connections with people that we love and that this love remains. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I talk to my Mom all the time (often right out loud!). Of course, then I have to say, "Not ignoring you, Dad!" Even tho they have been gone awhile now, they still influence me quite a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing, Ellen. Thanks for reading and for commenting.

      Delete
  8. How lovely that you feel so close to your mom, Stephenie. I lost my mum about 11 years ago but I still sometimes ask myself what she would say about certain situations and sometimes I even hear myself repeating some of her expressions! My daughter finds it all very amusing but I remind her that she sometimes sounds like me too...lol...Mums are very special, they never leave your side and the recipe cards will always remind you of her xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that, too, Pensive Pensioner. My dad told me that he used to do the same thing when making decisions.

      Delete
  9. The day after my mother passed away I was helping my dad organize items to take to the funeral home the next day. I suddenly knew that Mom wanted me to go into the back office where she had her own TV set up. I felt such a strong pull to lift up the couch cushion and unzip the fabric on the arm. Mom had placed over $3000 in cash in there-who knows why. My dad had no idea it was there. I know Mom wanted someone to find that cash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that incredible, Anita? That's exactly how it felt with my mom. Thank God you found it.

      Delete
  10. It must have been a great comfort to have heard your Mum. I love browsing through my old recipe tin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, mm. Her handwriting was so perfect. I cherish all of her recipes and will continue to use them.

      Delete
  11. Today has been a strange day. This morning while out walking I looked up into the sky and the wind had whipped the clouds up into the form of angel wings. I felt that my son was up there looking down on me. It brought me a great deal of comfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that it brought you comfort, Cherie. How sad to lose a son.

      Delete
  12. My dad passed away four weeks ago, and I have not gotten anything like that. When I think of him, I think that he’s at peace. Our last interaction was abrasive and ended up with him asking for my forgiveness. I wish I had some kind of sign that he knows it’s ok.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes it takes a while, Akasha. Maybe you will feel his presence in time.

    ReplyDelete