Sunday, May 24, 2020

Long Hard Hours, Weeding

I have been spending most of my time raking leaves and pulling weeds.  I love the gorgeous land at the cabin, but it is a big responsibility.  Fortunately, the mulch has made it very easy to pull out the long, green grasses.  Cleaning up the property is excellent exercise, and it makes me grateful for my ballet discipline.

I put  the cherry trees into the ground, and planted the the grape vine.  I also divided the sage, which has expanded in size. The leaves have gotten huge!  They are so fragrant.  I love using them to season chicken and stuffing.  Sage tea  makes a gentle bath herb, too.

I had another close  call with Lula.  An Australian cattle dog which has the wild  Dingo ancestry  burst through an short electric fence into our yard yesterday when we were practicing obedience training.  The dog has been acting very aggressive towards her.  He's dominant and obsessed.  I used my voice to yell like a banshee and the dog ran back home.  It looks like I will be putting up some redwood fencing there for safety and security.  I constantly carry pepper spray and have it in my hand.  The officer from Animal Control suggested that I get a dog catcher tool.  If you take pictures, they will issue a citation.  After the last attack from another nearby house, I have no patience for any further incidents.   

It's been challenging to see how many people here are ignoring the restrictions and having parties, refusing to practice social distancing, and it seems that almost none of them wear masks.  I just sigh.  I am fortunate to live alone and can pick up my produce at the co op.  Everyone there is very respectful and conscientious.  I've even had a lot of people roll their eyes and make sarcastic comments when they see my mask.  I experienced many of the Covid-19 symptoms last November, after my cruise to the Mediterranean.  We were in Italy and Spain, and there were so many people on board from China.  On the plane ride home, I felt a sense of panic and became extremely ill. I couldn't stop coughing for fifteen hours on the flight.  I remember how difficult it was for me to carry my purse at the airport.  It felt SO heavy, and I didn't know why.  Now I do.  After departing I  felt like I needed a wheelchair.  My photo at customs looked like that of  a drug addict.  I got better after resting for five days, eating lots of garlic and preparing  healthy foods.  I definitely wear a mask now, after reading all of the stories about the doctors, nurses, and people who have died from this virus.

Are you staying healthy?   

18 comments:

  1. That's kind of scary to have that other dog come into your yard! Thank goodness you were able to chase it off! Good idea to get a fence put in!

    It's too bad that people are not abiding by public health requirements. But, apparently, it has something to do with their constitutional rights. I am trying to stay healthy by not going out. Hope you continue to stay healthy and Lula is safe from any further attacks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bless, I am still staying home and watching the numbers, too. Fortunately, there is plenty of housekeeping and harvesting to do to keep me busy. The trails are gorgeous right now, too.

      Delete
  2. You're very wise. No-one yet knows if having it conveys any kind of immunity and it could be a lot worse second time - we just don't know.

    A nasty experience with the dog. I'm glad you were able to exert authority over it but it can't have been nice at all.

    Weeds are never ending but it does get a bit better over time. Your garden sounds lovely.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joy. Yes, there is still so much that we don't know about this virus. Better safe than sorry. The fence will be an excellent addition to the cabin, and it will draw a line in the sand.

      Delete
  3. I would wear a mask too if I had to stand in a queue anywhere. I must get around to making some more and leaving them in all my different bags so that I always have one with me. That dog incident sounds pretty scary. I hope it doesn't spoil your enjoyment of the cabin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherie, It was scary; I was shaking. Fortunately, I have everything documented, and Animal Control comes out right away if I call them. They know it's a serious problem on our street. I have several masks, and keep them in my car, too.

      Delete
  4. I think you have to do what's right for you as an individual now regarding covid 19. You've been busy in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too, Frugal. I hear lots of people sneezing, and I close my windows!

      Delete
  5. Gosh, Stephenie, the symptoms you describe do indeed sound like Covid ones, especially as you felt so ill and weak too. Hopefully you will be immune to further infection for some time but you are doing the right thing to wear your mask. Many people still don't take this virus seriously until they, or someone close to them, picks it up.

    I can hardly believe that you have another aggressive dog to contend with. A fence sound like a great idea. Take no chances!

    Enjoy your gardening and stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PP. I agree. At the time I thought it was jet lag. I just couldn't believe how weak I was, and my friend said thought it was being over fifty and traveling so far. Now I think I contacted it on the plane or the cruise ship. I feel so lucky that I was able to fight it off; so many people have died. Pepper spray and my mini ipad camera work to take photos in the dog situation. You have to present evidence. Everybody has a phone now.

      Delete
  6. Wearing a mask and keeping your distance are so simple and so effective. As is properly washing your hands with soap and water and keeping your hands away from your face. Strangely, the push for hand washing seems to have been lost over the last few weeks. I can't understand people who must rudely comment when they observe someone taking care of themselves with these safeguards. What a scary story about the stray dog. We are healthy and thriving here-lots of time doing yard work in the sun and hiking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Anita. Glad to hear you are healthy and happy there. I've been enjoying the sunshine and yard work, too. The bike rides in the mountains are gorgeous!

      Delete
  7. I’m sorry you have to deal with another dangerous dog, Stephenie.

    One of friends told me he faced similar reactions from people when he wore a mask to a store. It’s funny that most of these people who don’t wear masks are the same who demand everything to be open.
    You keep wearing masks and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, I will definitely wear my mask, thanks. It will be interesting to see if the numbers spike again. At least we have our own comfortable homes and gardens where we can relax safely and get work done.

      Delete
  8. Sorry to hear you were sick after your holiday, I had the same thing after Christmas in Bali, coughing and so tired and lethargic but no fever, doctor said she had the same after visiting family in Britain, makes me wonder if it was spread in planes and airports.
    You are being very sensible with your safety, the numbers in USA are incredible. We have been lucky here in Australia with our quick lockdown and border closure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting to go to Bali, MargaretP! I think I picked it up on the flight home. (although maybe it was the ship, since it needs time to incubate.) I am glad you are doing well in Australia. I was worried that it would spread through your country after they let the cruise ship dock there.

      Delete
  9. My goodness that must have been a frightening experience again. Glad all is well. Thankfully locally people here are adhering to the rules in the main which is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It must have been so scary to have the dog come into your yard like that. Thank goodness you were able to scare it away, you are wise to get some secure fencing so you can relax a little.
    I've heard of many people who believe they have had this virus earlier than it has been reported. Stay well. X

    ReplyDelete