Wednesday, May 20, 2020

A Tiny Garden In The Mountains


the Jeffrey Pines smell like vanilla

I planted a miniature garden last week, up at the cabin.  It's a petite rectangle, which I encircled with pine cones.   A few of my neighbors have noticed it, and commented that it looks pretty.  I wanted something simple and natural for people to see when they walked by, or rode their bikes.  I brought  up a couple of my mom's animal figurines from her old house.  They really work well with the trees.  The seller left behind a ceramic duck that I added, too.  I love the old, majestic oaks.  They are so wise and ancient. 

I dug up and relocated some of the irises that had multiplied at the pink cottage.  I transplanted several lilac seedlings that were sprouting underneath the deck.  I also bought a couple of six packs of hollyhocks, and spaced them wide, since they will get huge.


one of my neighbor's gardens

I plan to add geraniums, sage, oregano, lemon thyme and cilantro.  I chose plants that need very little water, since I have to lug it up the hill.  I may buy a long extension hose.  How's your garden doing?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

26 comments:

  1. Oh, your new garden will look great once the plants get established! I love the pine cone border! Your neighbor's garden looks nice, too. The long extension hose sounds like a good idea! My garden is coming along, nicely, thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bless. I love my neighbor's garden. It looks so natural. I'm glad that yours is doing so well. You take good care of it.

      Delete
  2. That's beautiful and the pine cones look amazing. They're huge!!!
    I thing a long extension hose might be a very good idea! I guess I would.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. These are actually the smaller pine cones. Some are twice the size. The extension hose will have to be extra long.

      Delete
  3. looking good, the pine cones would make great mulch too i think, will be such a pretty corner once the iris' bloom
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, selina. I love irises. I plan to bring up more from the cottage. They have really multiplied quickly.

      Delete
  4. Sounds wonderful! Looking forward to seeing everything grow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pine cone border you've created. X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also comforted and inspired by trees. Since moving to Indiana I have a new appreciation for trees in winter as well.
    Sometimes I forget that my front yard might make someone happy. We get a lot of foot traffic right now. This inspires me to tidy up - hopefully the rain will slow down for a few days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie V. Front gardens can really lift the spirits of those walking their dogs and taking a stroll through the neighborhood. It's a fun way to meet people in the area.

      Delete
  7. Nice! I can't wait to see it when they all grow in, the plants. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks so pretty and natural. The pine cone edge is perfect for a woodland garden. I love vanilla scented plants, especially on a warm evening when the scent just seems to hang in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a woodland garden. You are right, Cherie. Jasmine has delicious smelling blossoms, too.

      Delete
  9. Your garden looks terrific. What a good idea to use the pinecones for a border. An extension hose for watering sounds like a must! I am looking forward to seeing how the garden progresses through the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anita. Everyone comments on the pinecones as a border. I have so many of them. I dug up some sage to add to it, too.

      Delete
  10. Oh how fun. Little such gardens add so much character and with the figures peering out, there is a touch of whimsy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too, LL. My mom had such pretty figurines. I think she would be happy to see them in their new home.

      Delete
  11. It looks great. You are going to have a lovely garden very soon.

    Are those white roses in your neighbor's garden? They look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Thanks. No, those aren't roses; they are something else. Something to do with snow, I think. I love them.

      Delete
  12. I love your new little garden with its pine cone border. Such a great idea! I love to walk past gardens, to see what people are growing. I often get good ideas about what grows well. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I, Meg. It's a great way to learn. Thanks for the compliment.

      Delete
  13. I love that you made a border of those huge pine cones. Such a beautiful space. Stay well my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mereknits. Pine cones are so earthy; I love them.

      Delete