Monday, May 4, 2020

Thankful For Soapmaking Skills During This Pandemic

public restrooms in Santa Monica, California
 
The other day I made a batch of soap.  I am so glad that I stocked up and ordered plenty of the oils and butters that I needed.   Like most of us, I never realized that this virus was coming.  It is now even more important  to wash our hands and face regularly.  It gives me comfort to know that I have plenty of soap stored in my cupboard, curing on the racks, and ready to use in the bathroom.

I had a little bit of trouble with my scale.   I think it needs a new battery.  It's so important to weigh all of your ingredients carefully,  and it's critical to be accurate.  It took several tries, but I finally got the scale to give me the exact reading that I needed. 


sinks on the island of Capri, Italy

For this batch I used: olive oil, coconut oil, shea butter, lye and distilled water.  I added some Energy fragrance oil at trace.  It's been sitting in the molds on the kitchen table for a few days, under slabs of cardboard and a terry cloth towel.  I plan to put them into the freezer this afternoon and pop them out of the molds this evening.



After that, they will cure on the racks for several weeks.  It's so enjoyable to have mild, fragrant soaps that you have made yourself.  The bars moisturize your skin instead of drying it out or irritating it.  It took me a while to build up the nerve to start making it, but I am so glad that I did.       

Do you have enough soap at your house?  Do make your own, or do you buy it?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

24 comments:

  1. I don’t have any homemade soap. I need to buy some oil and make soap. I have oil, but want to keep them for cooking.
    I do have a large container of Dr. Bronner’s liquid soap, so it should be enough for a couple of months. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, I was noticing that Costco has olive oil at an excellent price when I was there today. That Dr. Bronner's soap should last you a while. I just made a batch of liquid soap yesterday. I grated up a bar of my homemade soap, and cooked it on the stove in eight cups of water. It's so handy for cleaning.

      Delete
  2. I dont make my own but I bought a multi pack back in February intending to grate into laundry soap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frugal, That must feel good to have an ample supply.

      Delete
  3. We thought about making soap, but I was too scared to try! My hands are so dry with all the hand washing at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was, too, emw. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy. It's so much gentler on the hands after it's cured for a few months.

      Delete
  4. I sometimes buy locally produced soap from the farm shop but recently I've just been getting it from the supermarket along with my weekly shop. I usually keep a few bars in a drawer to avoid running out. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wise, Jules. It's so important to have, especially right now.

      Delete
  5. lUckily, I buy mine online and bought a boxful after Christmas as I was running short, plus a few 'smelly' bars bought when I visited Hyde Hall with a friend.
    It's probably enough to keep me clean all year! :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This little sheep looks sweet! I make my own soap, my last batch I made with olive oil, palm kernel oil (sustainably sourced) and a touch of lily of the valley fragrance. I sometimes make fancy swirly soaps but usually just plain bars. I also make my own liquid soap by grating and mixing with water but I am hoping to make "real" liquid soap once I get hold of potassium hydroxide to replace the lye that I use for hard bars xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting about the liquid soap, Christina. I'll have to read up on it.

      Delete
  7. I love the sheep soap, Stephanie! I have just started making my own soap. My first batch was far from perfect but it still hardened and we are using it in our bathroom. It's actually quite a nice soap. I will be making more in the near future to use here at home. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are using the soap, Meg. It's so good for the skin.

      Delete
  8. Yes, I do make my own and was fortunate to have enough supplies to help neighbours too. Love the sheep, what a great mould. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, mm. I have certain friends, neighbors and family members who always request soap. It's such a practical gift.

      Delete
  9. I don't make my own soap but I do have a friend who gifted me a homemade bar once or twice (now who can that be???). I also am a fan of Dr. Bonner's soaps. Their manufacturing plant is just up the highway from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked the soap, Anita. I still get excited about it.

      Delete
  10. I have never tried making my own soap but could easily be tempted. I have far too many hobbies as it is though so just need a few more hours in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be an amazing soapmaker, Cherie. I can just imagine all the creative touches that you would add.

      Delete
  11. Your little soap sheep is so cute! I haven't tried making soap. I had wanted to try, but, I haven't. I'd say it's a good self-sufficiency skill to have! Instead, I buy mine. Yes, I have enough soap - 24 pieces of regular soap and 2 pieces of laundry soap (Zote).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your soap looks perfect! I have a lot of soap from my last batches so I am not making any for a awhile. You can't beat homemade lye soap...it cleans your skin so squeaky-clean! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I adore using my fragrant handmade soaps, Andrea.

      Delete