Friday, April 30, 2021

Day Trips

 


Day trips are a great way to feel like you've had a vacation while still saving money.  If you live fairly close to the beach or a lake, it can be a relaxing getaway that is still close to home.  Lula and I love to jump in the car and head off to the beach.  PCH has some scenic bike trails, (some right near the sand,) that are completely free from cars.

The dogs that we've met there are well socialized, calm,  and happy.  Everyone follows the leash law.  You can tell by the pets' body language that they don't have any aggression issues.  Canines at the beach always seem to be relaxed and smiling, like their owners.  We often stop and chat; everyone is so friendly.   I get a lot of questions about Lula's Walkydog.  It makes it so easy to ride her alongside me on the bicycle.  The bar keeps her stable  at my side.  It's safer than a leash; I can keep both hands firmly on the handlebars.

It's quick and easy to pack plenty of water, a lunch, dog biscuits for Lula, and fruit and dessert for me.   A sun hat, sheet, towel, and sunscreen are all that I need to toss into the beach bag.  

Parking is often free, and I can lock up the bike if we want to dip our toes in the water.  Watching the surfers is so entertaining.   They are still wearing wet suits.  They are in top physical condition,  I am amazed at how calm they are.  Yesterday we saw a lone paddle boarder and just one  man in a kayak.  The paddle boarder was surfing, and he was one of the best out there.  I feel in awe of their balance and control.  One was a complete master; he looked older than the others.  He was walking on his surfboard on the water!

It's exciting to be out in the sunshine again.  Summer is one of my favorite times of year.  How about you?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.


12 comments:

  1. Day trips are fun, but, I rarely make any, for some reason or the other! I guess I am too much of a homebody! I am happiest when I am relaxing at home! Summer is my favorite time of the year! I like warm temperatures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that's where you're happiest, that's the place to be, Bless. I love travel, but also feel content and thankful at home. Day trips give me the best of both worlds. California is such a beautiful state...especially along the coast.

      Delete
  2. You and your friend look like you had a nice time! My son and I both enjoy going to the beach. While he loves to get in the water, I like to just walk, or sit and just watch everyone enjoy the beach (much like you). The cool breeze is always nice! The only thing I don't like ia crowds. Whenever we go, it is early morning and leave when it starts getting crowded.

    I'm not too big on summer, the sun heat doeant mix well with my skin, I'm always breaking out in heat rashes. I enjoy most the fall and spring :) here it seems it is always nice and warm though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heat rashes are uncomfortable, Kari. It wasn't crowded where we were. I like to go mid week.

      Delete
  3. How lovely to be so close to water. There's something very calming and refreshing about water, I find, even big splashy waves.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jo. Being near the ocean makes me feel expanded and one with Mother Nature.

      Delete
  4. I love the smell of the ocean. It always feels as though the air around it has been scrubbed clean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it, too, Cherie. I find it incredible healing. It's like you're part of something bigger...everyone is enjoying the same thing.

      Delete
  5. I love going to the beach, but we rarely do it these days. Our beaches are very crowded in the summer months with tourists (which is a good thing for our economy). But what I really like to visit are cliffs above the beaches to enjoy the wide view of the ocean. Hiking Torrey Pines is my very favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's too bad, Anita. I love Ventura for that reason. There's so much space, and the surfers are out in the water. Torrey Pines sounds fabulous! I love to drive along PCH, as well. The views are spectacular!

      Delete
  6. That's a lovely photograph, Stephenie. You are lucky to have some wonderful coast and countryside close by. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jules. We are. That's why I love California. The nature makes me happy.

      Delete