Saturday, April 3, 2021

Staying Patient During the Pandemic

 It's been an entire year since the virus and first lockdown  hit.  Actually, it's been much longer than that, in my opinion.  I have actually adjusted to this lifestyle, and plan to keep taking things slowly and carefully as we proceed.  I have learned not to let people rush me or push me into anything.  Listening to your body is, in my opinion, foolproof.  The body never lies.

I am grateful that I recovered from Covid in November of 2019.   I did notice some lingering symptoms that concerned me, but over time, they have dissipated.  My strength and power have returned.  I see strong parallels between this virus ad the AIDS crisis in the eighties.  I was close with many dancer friends who died during that time.  I sat at their hospital beds, brought them soup, and observed their painful decline.  I remember being shocked at how hard and fast the virus hit them.  They had been so muscular, vibrant, and healthy.  Suddenly they were skeletons with lesions.  Their bodies were listless and their eyes were hollowed.  All of them were all so young...in their twenties and early thirties.  How they used to look didn't matter, the horrifying effect was the same.

Each person has to make up their own mind how they will handle this current situation.  Some feel safe after getting vaccinated, some prefer to wait.  Others have ignored all precautions and flaunt the fact that they are breaking the rules.  

We can only control ourselves.  It's possible that highly sensitive people may know or sense things that you don't know.  Time will tell.  Each of us has to do what is best for us in this situation.  People are at different stages of life.  They have different priorities, agendas, financial and living situations, and reasons for their choices.  Time will tell...

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.

16 comments:

  1. I'm just fine with the pace of life, right now. :) I'm a homebody who doesn't need to be going places or doing things. Company is nice, but, I am an introvert for the most part, quite content to be on my own. I already practiced self isolation when I was undergoing cancer treatments as they compromised my immunity. I will be taking my 2nd vaccine dose, tomorrow, but, I shall continue to practice caution even afterwards. It is the socially responsible thing to do, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate, Bless. I agree that what you're doin is the socially responsible thing to do.

      Delete
  2. I am glad I did not know one year ago that the pandemic and lockdowns would rage for a year. I told myself, ok, they say a month, I can get through a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day at a time, Terra. I have a feeling it could take five years for them to really get a handle on this virus. It's complicated.

      Delete
  3. Although I have had my first jab I certainly won't be in any hurry to rush back out into society. I'm perfectly content at home pottering around the house and garden. There are far too many people flouting the rules and endangering the rest of us that are trying to stick to them. I don't think it's going to be over for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am impressed with your attitude. All this will pass, eventually. We need to be gentle with ourselves

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel a lot safer post vaccine (first one, anyway) but I am still mindful that the vaccine does not stop me from transmitting the virus and, while I may feel protected, others are not, either because of age or choice.
    I very much 'empathise' with Bless; I love being at home and doing homey things, being happy with the smaller things.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree with your views. I only wish we all could respect each other's choices, needs, desires and wants without passing judgements. As my mother used to say "Do Unto Others. . . ".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Yes, there has been a lot of conflict. Everyone has their own version of what is safe. And we all are in different circumstances...

      Delete
  7. Like yourself and others, I too have retreated quite a bit and although I was always a loner and an introvert, I've cut down even further on going out and about. I know that New Zealand has so far been one of the safest of countries regarding the virus - there has been the odd isolated case which has seemed to appear from nowhere. I feel that it is the fear of the unknown in this case which makes me cautious - I don't want to get it nor do I want to spread it. That you recovered so well is so fantastic, and is really a shining example. Reading about the aids virus and your tragic experiences with your friends - how can most of us even imagine what that was like for them and for you? Words are just inadequate here . xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you, ratnamurti. Like you, I don't want to contact it again or spread it to others. I was very fortunate to recover, I am reading more and more stories about dancers who didn't. My gut instinct is to play it really safe.

      Delete
  8. I appreciate your thoughts on this, Stephenie, and am happy to hear you’ve made a complete recovery. My husband had COVID last fall, too. It was the sickest I’d ever seen him. We’ve been married fourteen years. I, somehow, remained perfectly healthy through it. This virus is so strange! Anyway, I enjoy reading your posts, and I agree, this past year has required a lot of patience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Courtney, Great hearing from you. That's wonderful news that you've stayed healthy. I hope your husband is doing okay now. That must have been frightening to watch him go through it. It's so mysterious...(who gets it and who doesn't.)

      Delete
  9. I agree with you. I’ve got both doses now, but plan to be careful and continue to wear a mask.

    One year after we went fully online, I have two on campus meetings next week. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had my first jab and will accept my second when offered but I still won't take any chances. I think you're right in saying that it will be some years yet before we see life as it was Stephenie. I'll just be happy to see my family on a regular basis at last. They are all taking twice weekly tests, including the grandchildren, and we intend to do the same once we are offered them so that we can keep each other as safe as possible. Everything else including holidays can wait.
    It must have been a horrendous time for you during the peak of AIDS to lose so many friends. So sad xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope the meetings go well, Nil. I think you are wise to wear a mask.

    ReplyDelete