Sunday, June 26, 2022

Sparkling Mallorca

 


Mallorca is a popular vacation destination with Europeans.  I met a woman on the plane from London who still visits the island once a year, even though now she lives in California.  Her parents maintain a small apartment and an older car there.  It's a quick flight from Heathrow.  She and her girlfriends have been going there together for years. 


This is where I parked my bicycle at the bike racks and stopped to take a swim.  The Mediterranean Sea is magical.  I had forgotten that in many parts of Europe, the women sunbathe topless.  Their attitude towards nudity is so relaxed and healthy.  I could easily spend a week in Mallorca and enjoy the sunshine, bike paths, and beaches.  The restaurants, hotels, and shops are impressive.  I loved the architecture.


This was our view at my friend Richard's wedding.  It was a spectacular venue.  Out of curiosity, I looked into what it would cost to retire here.  Depending on your assets, there is a steep wealth tax on foreigners.  They take a percentage of everything you own.  I think it would be wiser to plan vacations there a couple years in advance while getting a reasonable airfare.  I really liked taking the cruise with NCL, staying in London for a few nights, and then spending my last three days in sunny Mallorca.  It was quite costly.  However, I would rather not travel so far as often, and save up for a few years in order to go.  I definitely want to return.

What is your favorite place for a Holiday?

Thank you for your comments.  They add so much talent and energy to the blog.  Please comment in English.  Replies with links will not be published.  If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  Comments may take a few days to appear; they are moderated.  

10 comments:

  1. It looks like a sunny and beautiful place to visit, Stephenie. For years, the only place I would go for vacations was back to Sri Lanka! But, I've done a couple of visits to London, too, and I enjoyed that, as well. These days, I'm holidaying at home! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Bless. The taxi driver told me that it gets very hot in the summer, though. Glad that you are enjoying your holidays at home.

      Delete
  2. I tend to stay closer to home and stay in the UK. I love staying in country cottages and exploring the area, visiting old houses, parks, walking around - that sort of thing. I also like day trips out.
    I think your idea of planned holidays is a good one, rather than actually moving there. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those country cottages sound lovely, Joy. Next time I visit England I would like to see those areas. I agree, I will keep my base in California.

      Delete
  3. It does look lovely there. I bet the swim in the Mediterranean was so refreshing after a bike ride. Where is my favorite place to vacation? It is way to hard to choose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Anita. There are so many incredible destinations out there.

      Delete
  4. We really loved Mallorca when we went many years ago and stayed in Cala Bona when the children were small. The beaches were stunning. Nowadays we love Cornwall as the climate is so mild and haven't ventured overseas in more than 20 years. It seems the older we get the more we stay home!
    Thank you for sharing your photos, Stephenie, I enjoy seeing them very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to research Cala Bona, PP. I'm glad that you are enjoying the photos. Traveling is a bit challenging right now.

      Delete
  5. I adore Menorca which is another of the Balearics. At the moment my own beautiful country needs my money so we will be taking short breaks here and supporting local economies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mallorca is a beautiful island with so much to offer. Lily finds travelling quite stressful, so we've mainly holidayed in the UK recently, but I'm hoping that might change before long. Xx

    ReplyDelete