Monday, December 10, 2018

A Vintage Love Seat From The Salvation Army



On Saturday I felt like my deceased mother was whispering in my ear, urging me to go to the Salvation Army. It happened a few times, so I decided to just get in the car and go. It's located only a mile from my home. My mom was quite an enthusiastic  shopper and talented home decorator, so whenever I sense that she is on hand to help me, I listen closely and take her advice.

I walked in and didn't see much that appealed to me. You have to really look to find the quality items at our Sally Army, but sometimes they are there. I have snatched up some gorgeous antique lamps and pieces of vintage furniture in the past. You have to act quickly. Sometimes they transport items up from their store in Pasadena.  That's where the antiques are, and some of them are really spectacular.


I spotted this love seat and gasped. It didn't look like much among what they had in the store, but when I got it home, it brought my whole cottage to life. Antiques and vintage items do that in an older home. They go so well together. It was on sale at 50% off; so I got it for $45.00. There was a man there with a truck who agreed to move it here for me and to take my old one back for $20.00. I bought my last couch there, as well.  The upholstery on this one looks brand new. I could tell that whoever had donated it took the time to polish the wood carefully. It has really good energy;  I am thrilled. I have been looking for period couch for twenty years. It totally is my mom's taste.  

I was checking my bank balances this morning and saw a charge from The Wall Street Journal for $38.99. I had taken advantage of their "free trial" in September, and then did not cancel it in time. I was four days late. I spoke with a supervisor, but could not get a refund. I am just sick. I hate to waste money. Unfortunately, I agreed to their terms and conditions. It was an expensive lesson to make. What really bothers me is that I didn't even read any of the articles. I couldn't remember my password, and I got busy with my Etsy shop, Christmas preparations, and housework. I will not make this mistake again. Time seems to fly by so much more quickly as I get older.  It turns out I did write my password in my little notebook, but I didn't take the time to look it up and use the free trial. Lesson learned.     

28 comments:

  1. The seat/sofa was just made for your cottage, it looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate free trial things because they rely on you forgetting. Amazon do prime regularly but I don't do it. Love the sofa well done, great investment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Tania. My intuition was reminding me, and I didn't listen.

      Delete
  3. The chair is wonderful.

    Sorry about the subscription - in a way they hope we will all forget what we signed up for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, earthmotherwithin. You're right; I did forget about it.

      Delete
  4. Such a cute little love seat Stephenie. I think if I had seen it I would have bought it too. That was a great price and it looks just lovely in your cottage.

    Sorry to hear about the charge you had to pay. It always feels like you have let yourself down when something like this happens. Try not to be hard on yourself, you cant change it, but as you said lesson learned :)

    Sorry to hear you also lost a dear friend recently, always sad when that happens. Hope you are doing okay.

    I also love the curtains you showed in a recent post, they look so pretty and blend well with your vintage look.

    I am loving seeing the soap you are making, something I am still waiting to try. I promised myself to do that this year, but already it is the end of the year! How does that happen? Lol!

    Much love,
    Tania xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, Yes, time passes so quickly. I am really happy with the love seat and the lace curtains. I think you will love making soap.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful love seat. It looks so good in your cottage. I love your decorating style. Well done Stephenie!

    I understand how you feel about the unused free trial. It happened to me once, years ago. Now I'm very reluctant to use free trials. If I do, I post a PostIt note on the computer so i don't forget to cancel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, thank you. My mom decorated with antiques and lace curtains, and I always appreciated the beauty and simplicity. The PostIt note is a good idea.

      Delete
  6. It sounds like you have the knack for finding wonderful, quality things at the Salvation Army. That and help from above! The sofa looks so nice in your cottage. Very frustrating about the free trial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Thanks. I have been very fortunate there. I agree about the help from above. I just made up the money and more by purchasing my airline ticket to Barcelona. Round trip from LAX for $398.00! I am learning to always follow my intuition...

      Delete
    2. Squeeeeelllll! That is a fantastic price. Good for you.

      Delete
    3. I know, I was amazed. It really seems to help to plan and book far in advance.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful sofa. Looks very-well made. Once my son got a sofa from Goodwill for his college dorm room. It was old, yet looked brand-new. (Figured some old person died and left it!) It brought back memories because we had one just like it when we started out. A shame about the subscription. I had this happen to me but it was not a free trial. I actually subscribed and didn't realize they'd use my credit card the next year to renew! Seems so shady to me. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, Andrea. What a shame that you were renewed. Ugh.

      Delete
  8. The little sofa was a great purchase. I can't believe the ridiculously low prices solid old furniture fetches. When new, these things were big investments for householders.

    My husband, too, got caught out with a Wall Street Journal subscription - he decided it was an unnecessary indulgence (for some reason, his was in the hundreds of dollars!) a couple of years ago and thought he'd cancel it but it was set up as a an automatic payment from his credit card and the renewal went through before he had a chance to contact them and no amount of pleading would allow them to refund the payment. He was stuck with another year and then when he finally cut loose, they spent another year pestering him to resubscribe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Pipistrello. The sewing machine and cabinet I bought there for $20.00 went for $35.00 in the 1930's. I guess I'm not the only one that has lost money to The Wall Street Journal...

      Delete
  9. Such a lovely seat to chance upon, Stephenie. It looks perfect in your little cottage. It is a shame about your subscription charge, it's frustrating to have to part with money you'd rather not spend. I was quite cross with myself recently too. Just before we left for our holiday, I was looking for a book to go in the tote bag I sewed for my Mum's xmas gift. I put my bags down to look through one, then totally forgot my bags and moved off to another section of the department store I was in. I realised only minutes later and hurried back but they were gone ... and no-one handed them in! I lost the earlier purchase I had made, thankfully not an expensive one but I was so cross with myself, not to mention whoever took my bags! Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Meg...I'm so sorry to hear that you lost the bag. It's so frustrating to make those kinds of mistakes. You worked so hard on it, too. Rats.

      Delete
  10. Don’t you just love the thrill of unearthing a thrift store treasure?! Your new loveseat is a beauty! I’m sorry to hear about the charge to your account. That sort of thing bums me out, too. I wish you a happy holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Holidays, Courtney! Yes, the loveseat is a real find. I am really enjoying it each day. Thank you.

      Delete
  11. love the new lounge, it's so pretty!
    you have a wise mum
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Selina, Thank you. Yes, she was a smart shopper.

      Delete
  12. Your new settee/loveseat is gorgeous! And the 0rice excellent. ��

    Playing catch-up with your recent posts. No matter how hard I try, December seems to have more commitments than other months!

    Swirled Soap: Looks yummy! lol

    Rebatched Soap: Hmmmm... Possible new product line? Include a romance card with the benefits you outlined and add a burlap or other rustic sleeve to your muslin bag to differentiate the line? Feel free to ignore my thoughts--I'm an entrepreneur at heart. It's just the way my brain is wired! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Taja. Thank you. I have really been enjoying the loveseat.

      Delete
  13. And congratulations on your airfare! This brain is a little slow on the uptake today.

    ReplyDelete