Friday, December 28, 2018

Afraid Of Food



Last week I listened to and watched  couple of different doctors on Youtube. One was a chiropractor, and the other was a medical doctor and chemist. I found what they were saying about diet to be very distressing. It seems like they believe that just about everything that we eat is causing cancer, arthritis, and other diseases. My impression was that they just want us eating vegetables, seeds, and nuts. It doesn't  make sense to me. 

I thought about how in my own life, the only time that I've had negative reactions to a balanced diet was when I had bone on bone osteoarthritis. It felt like an infection to me. I was shocked at how painful and debilitating it was. I dreaded going to bed, because my legs would start to shake. If I tried to move them the pain would cut through me like a knife. I had no idea what was wrong, and suffered with these symptoms for years. I thought it was caused by diet. I tried cutting out the foods that supposedly caused inflammation. I felt better, but eating that way really bored and depressed me. Life felt so flat and empty. 

Once I had the hip replacement surgery, I noticed that I could eat whatever I wanted again. I no longer experienced the flares of inflammation. I felt more like I did as a child. Growing up we enjoyed meat, potatoes, salads, casseroles, and desserts. I devoured fruit, and loved the different varieties and flavors that were available.

Some seniors that I talk to are afraid to eat fruit. They tell me that their doctors have told them they are pre- diabetic and can't have it. I have always eaten several pieces of fruit a day, and find it very energizing and satisfying. Others have stopped eating gluten, because they feel it is causing their painful arthritis.  It puzzles me that so many women I know can't eat much of anything after age fifty without having a severe reaction. I found my answers last night. They are in an incredible book called Medical Medium, by Anthony William.  I can so relate to him! As a yoga teacher, I was constantly diagnosing my students without realizing it. I would just repeat what my intuition told me. They often seemed so shocked. "I went to the doctor, and he told me the exact same thing you did," they would say. "Maybe I should have been a doctor," I would think to myself. "I would have made a lot more money."   It was always just a natural ability that I had. I read countless books on energy healing, emotions, chakras, and yoga. It fascinated me then, and it still does.

My personal feeling is that our body chemistry is key. If we are in an abusive situation, the body is flooded with cortisol. I was in some dead end jobs and relationships, and I could feel how toxic  it felt in my bloodstream. Many of us stay in horrible situations because we need the money, or are afraid to make a change. It isn't worth it. The body knows when it feels safe and secure, and it knows when we are in danger. If my body hurts, I know that I'm on the wrong track. Sometimes just getting away from someone can make all of the symptoms disappear.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.  

20 comments:

  1. Stephenie, I can totally relate to pretty much every aspect of this post. I think that If we listened to all the doctors we would either starve to death or rob our bodies of essential nutrients. I have taken to listening to my body more. If I want a salty snack then I will enjoy it. Perhaps my body needs the salt. Likewise, if I fancy a piece of fruit or even chocolate then I will thoroughly enjoy it. Leaving toxic relationships wasn't easy but was the quickest way to heal my stressed psyche. The relief was instant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true about the toxic relationships, Cherie. Listening to the body is wise. Your body will always sense the truth in a situation.

      Delete
  2. I believe a lot of things are down to diet and some just age. I am suffering with rheumatoid arthritis which I have always had but it is getting bad now and every night with that and the hot flushes I dread going to bed, I think I will need both hips replaced before I'm 60.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that you have RA, Living Simply. Having the hips replaced gave me high relief. I feel for you.

      Delete
  3. Our mindset definitely has an effect on our body and we'll bring. I get SAD through limited daylight each winter.I think everything is about moderation and balance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, Moderation and balance are wonderful. We have a lot of sunshine here, but I found living in climates with less of it challenging. I hope you have a remedy for the SAD.

      Delete
  4. I agree with you. During the weekdays my breakfast is an orange and cup of black coffee. I find I can last until lunch without ever feeling hungry. What is interesting is that one the weekends when we have toast and coffee for breakfast, I am usually starved by lunch. I also believe that it is just the sheer quantity of food we eat that contributes to health issues. The serving sizes at restaurants is appalling to me. Our bodies are not designed to process that much food at one time. And one last thing-I also agree about the response of your body to stress and the impact on your overall health. Since retiring from a very intense and stressful career I don't have back/neck pain anymore, am able to sleep, and have decreased my blood pressure without medication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the quantities are shocking, aren't they, Anita? I rarely eat out, but when I do, I take the leftovers to go. I get three or four meals out of one serving. I'm more of a grazer. That's excellent that your blood pressure dropped without medication. I'm glad that you don't have back or neck pain anymore.

      Delete
  5. There's so much wisdom in this post, Stephenie. I think sometimes that we need to listen more to our bodies and it sounds like you really do. I have been managing inflammation in my right shoulder, the cortisone injection I had did not work, but I am finding that bowen therapy is really helping to manage it and has eliminated the pain in my neck that was coming from the bursitis. I find alternative therapies work well for me. Meg

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Meg, I really appreciate alternative therapies, too. Massage is my favorite. I will have to research Bowen Therapy. That's fantastic that it has eliminated your neck pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you Stephenie. Many times we forget to listen to what our bodies tell us.
    I'm pretty averse to the idea that everything can be cured by a pill.
    I always try to have a well balanced diet. I think that the moderation is the key and try not to go to any extreme with new diet fads. My weakness is not doing enough exercise. I'm determined to do more next year. :)

    The yoga pose on the photo is amazing. If I tried that I'd break both my arms for sure. :) You are very strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, I avoid pills, too. My ballet teacher used to stress that we just need
      to eat sensibly.

      I laughed when I read what you wrote about breaking your arms. You are so funny. Thank you. Strength comes pretty naturally to me. Good luck with the exercise this year.

      Delete
  8. diet does have a lot to do with many ailments we get, people just don't know how to listen to their bodies anymore; i have a few foods i can not eat as they will set off the rheumatoid & I really don't like pain in that degree, it is of cause different for each individual but I'd rather do it naturally & give up foods that cause the pain than take drugs with some nasty side effects.

    have a HAPPY NEW YEAR

    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with me, Selina. If I eat too much of certain things, my body will ache at night. Subtracting them really does work. Happy New Year to you, too.

      Delete
  9. I agree..worry less what we eat and more of how to live a more relaxing life, minus the stress. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A relaxing life does wonders, Andrea. When healthy, the body can heal itself. It's a relief to be able to trust what your body is telling you.

      Delete
  10. Happy New year Stephenie. I hope 2019 is kind to you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cherie. I'm sure it will be. 2018 was excellent. I wish you a prosperous and healthy new year.

      Delete
  11. This is a interesting post Stephenie.

    I listen to my body these days, I have learned to turn into what it requires. I eat oodles of fruit and veggies and beans etc. My body is thankful and my energy is abundant!

    Wishing you a fabulous New Year, hope it is all you want it to be,
    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's wonderful, Tanis. It sounds like you are very in tune with what your body needs and wants. Best wishes to you for a happy 2019, too.

    ReplyDelete