Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Did You Start A Diet Today?



My hips were really out of whack in this photo. It was before my bilateral hip replacement surgery.

I didn't. Well, I did do a huge shop yesterday, and bought all kinds of wonderful fruits and vegetables. Sprouts had blueberries and blackberries on sale, so I splurged on four packages of them. I almost never buy berries, because of the cost, but have decided that they are worth it. They are so full of nutrients, and they taste incredible!  Maybe I can grow them...

My intuition has been steering me towards cilantro for the past few months. I have started adding about a half a cup of it to my salads. I learned that from the Medical Medium. It really is a wonderful aromatic herb. I plan to grow it in my windowsill this winter.

This afternoon I picked some rosemary, sage, and thyme from the potager garden. I added them to my bone broth that was simmering on the stove. I grow all kinds of herbs out front, but sometimes I forget to use them. I have also added celery and cucumbers to my daily salads, and it feels like a healthy and beneficial choice.

Are you making any changes to what you eat for the New Year? My plan is to enjoy much more fresh fruit, in place of baked goods. I love them both, but am just as happy with the fruit. My joints do much better this way, and I want to keep my original knees, if possible.  I'll just have breads and pies once in a while,  for a treat.    

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

12 comments:

  1. I decided to o eat less meat. I'm not a big meat eater anyway, but I want to reduce it further. I read on Tania's blog how her husband recused his cholesterol numbers by eating mostly vegan.

    I often buy frozen berries as they are relatively cheaper than fresh berries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, I reuse the chicken and beef bones for broths. It's amazing how people's cholesterol numbers drop with less meat, and more fruits and vegetables. That's true about the frozen berries.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a good plan Stephenie, the more fruit and veggies the better. I have cut out bread and cakes for now to see how my body reacts. I will do it for the month of January and see if I feel any different. I have already lost weight so off to a good start!

    Love Tania xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, I did the same thing. I don't really miss them. I just have them as a treat. It seems like many people with osteoarthritis eat a lot of bread and desserts. I did.

      Delete
  3. I have started the 5 2 diet. I read so many good things about it and it will work well for me as I already buy so many fruits and veggies.. I can make lovely tasty soups that contain hardly any calories. I won't miss cakes and goodies as I don't have a particularly sweet tooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way, Cherie. That's pretty much how I eat, too.

      Delete
  4. I began the new year with a cold! But I did make chicken soup from a whole chicken. I like cilantro too! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, Chicken soup is the perfect remedy. I find that fresh garlic really works, too.

      Delete
  5. I don't like diets really but before Christmas I started having a nutribullet smoothie for lunch in the week and it has helped me lose weight, and even with the Christmas splurge I didn't really put on weight, I now have smoothies for lunch in the week and sensible portion breakfasts and teas and allow myself a few treats at the weekend, and it is working for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds very healthy and balanced, Living Simply. Deprivation doesn't work.

      Delete
  6. We have a blueberry bush in a pot which gives us lots of berries each summer. It is a special varietal which does not require freezing temperatures in the winter. I don't remember the name, but it was from Monrovia so you should be able to look it up. It is the most expensive plant in our yard! I am not planning a change in my diet per se, but just trying to eat smaller portions and more from our garden. I like the idea of listening to what your body seems to crave. Cilantro-yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice to pick your own fresh blueberries, Anita. I have a volunteer chokeberry plant that gives me divine tasting berries. Your plan sounds wise.

    ReplyDelete