Friday, January 18, 2019

A Quick Trip To Palm Springs



On Wednesday, I decided to go see Jersey Boys again. I messaged my friend Danny, (the associate choreographer,) that I was coming. It was a last minute decision, and I had found one seat online. It was on the end,  in the very back row of the balcony. Danny suggested that we meet him in the lobby before the show. "I have a house seat and I'll switch with you," he told me. "I need to watch the show from the back, anyway." I thanked him and felt a rush of gratitude.  I'm on a budget, so I usually buy the cheapest seat available.  House seats are the most expensive in the theater.  They reserve a section of them  for the performers and creative team.  

The parking lot was packed. I couldn't find a spot, so they let me valet park. Since I had Lula with me, I parked myself. She slept in the car while I watched the show. She loves to travel. She just snoozes in the backseat. It only cost $20.00 to have her stay with me at the Best Western. They have special rooms for dog owners. Ours had a lovely balcony overlooking the garden.  You could sit out on the patio and have a cup of coffee. They have coffemakers in the room with delicious coffee. 

I really enjoyed the show. I always do. It was an exciting night. The actor playing Frankie Valli was out.  His understudy was on, and he did so well. They all did. When one of the understudies is on in a show, it has a domino effect. Several other people will have to cover multiple parts, and it's a huge opportunity as a performer. Everyone was so well prepared and rehearsed. I was very impressed.

My job as the dance captain for Anything Goes in Berlin was to swing all of the parts and to teach everyone the show. It's a big responsibility and can be very stressful.  I really appreciate what it takes to keep a show running smoothly. You just never know who is going to get sick or injured, and you have to be prepared for anything.


After the curtain came down,  Danny brought me backstage.  I got to meet several of the people involved in the show. It brought back so many memories. I gazed at all of the costumes preset on the chairs, the scenery, and the special floor. We looked out at the audience from the performers' point of view.  The seats that had been full earlier were now empty. The house lights were up, and it looked completely different from the way it had when we were out there sitting  in the dark, watching the show.

By the time we left, the performers had gone home. They had rehearsed that day, and had completed  a successful performance.  Danny told me that they had another rehearsal tomorrow. It's a hard life, being in show business.  You push your voice and your body to extremes.  It's also very thrilling and rewarding, though.

I drove back to the motel, spent the night, and then checked out the next morning. I was thinking that I needed to stop and buy more water, then remembered that Danny had given me a bottle. He handed it to me  when we met in the lobby. It was so thoughtful of him. It's the little details that make you comfortable on the road.  I had saved it in the car. I breathed a sigh of relief, took a sip,  and drove home in the pouring rain.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

14 comments:

  1. What a wonderful evening! (And Lula is such a good dog/companion! The Best Western here is the only hotel that allows pets.) A special evening for you also, and so nice of your friend. You did have quite the job as dance Captain for Anything Goes! I bet that time in your life really flew! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, Yes, it was. Anything Goes was a huge show. My friend Richard Ambrose was my co-captain, and we are still friends. Lula and I have also stayed at Motel 6 in Big Bear.

      Delete
  2. It must be wonderful but very hard work to be a part of such a life. Is it hard to finally give up and hand the baton over to others. At what point do you retire or do you never really retire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Cherie, but it's also deeply satisfying. It depends on the artist. We would all like to keep working, but in order to do so, most of us transition into a new area. Some become choreographers, directors, or stage managers. A few make it big, and achieve stardom. Many teach. Others marry, have children, and study something different, like accounting, real estate, or law. It varies with the individual.

      Delete
  3. It sounds fabulous and I love the idea you take your faithful friend with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Tania. She gets so excited when I pull out the luggage! Dogs love adventure.

      Delete
  4. Good article. As I’ve mentioned in the past, your attention to detail and previous experience make me, the reader, feel like I’m there with you - that’s a unique feeling that kept me engaged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iron Ed! That's the whole idea. I appreciate you reading the blog and commenting.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you had a fantastic time. It was so nice of your friend to offer you a house seat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, Yes, I did. It was very kind of him to give me his seat. He watches from all different places.

      Delete
  6. I just recently discovered your blog and find it very interesting. It sounds like you've led an exciting life. Did you ever work with Debbie Reynolds? She's one of my favorites. I enjoy reading about your knitting and soap making too! Bobi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bobi, Thank you. I never worked with Debbie, but I taught ballet at her studio. She was close with Mickey Rooney, and came to see us in Sugar Babies in Las Vegas. She gave us tickets to see her act there. We all went together after the show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds like you had a wonderful fast getaway. Danny sounds like a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Yes, it was a spur of the moment decision. Danny is a very good friend; Lula loved him.

      Delete