Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Carol Channing Obituary: Part One


Carol Channing died today. She was 97 years old, and lived a very full and vibrant life. I first met Carol when I was a Bluebell dancer in the Show "Hello Hollywood, Hello!" at the MGM Grand Hotel in Reno, Nevada. She came in as the first headliner, and boy was she spectacular! I fell in love with her: her vivacity, charm, humor, and stage presence. She was electric and youthful. I would stand in the bathroom during her act, listening to her on the speaker. I studied her vocal inflections, her timing on the laughs, and the rhythm of her skits. She was hysterical. One of my favorite numbers was when she did "Tap Your Troubles Away."  She performed it in flat Mary Jane style tap shoes with huge bows on the feet, like a little girl would wear.  It was so funny, and  never failed to get a laugh. She made her costume changes behind a flimsy partition on stage, while chatting enthusiastically to the audience as she changed her clothes. She was so amusing and entertaining, all of the time.

I used to see her poised on her float before she made her entrance. She always got there about twenty minutes before her cue. It had a staircase, and after someone helped her up at the top, she would stand there, wide eyed, looking around and listening. It was as if she was talking to someone. There was energy streaming out of her body; she must have been rehearsing. I used to wave at her from my Robot costume as she made her exit. One day she came up to me and asked, "What is your name?" "Stephenie," I replied. "Stephenie!" she practically shouted, enthusiastically. From then on, she would always stop on her way to the dressing room and say "Hi Stephenie," in that imitable voice of hers. She was so kind and friendly.  More about Carol Channing tomorrow.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. Please comment in English. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.

8 comments:

  1. I saw her in Hello Dolly in DAR Constitution Hall Washington DC in 1971 or early 1972. She was unbelievably wonderful as Dolly Levi. Your memories of her are very special. Rest in peace Carol Channing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was such an iconic role for her, Anita. She really excelled in her work.

      Delete
  2. I heard about her death on the radio this morning while going to work. I didn't know who she was, but when I learned I wondered if you knew her and would write about her.
    Thank you for sharing your memories Stephenie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was an icon in the Broadway world. We all loved her.

      Delete
  3. I remember her on British Tv back in the 60s. She was a talented and funny lady. How great that you worked with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tania, yes, she was hysterical. She really made people feel happy and important.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating! I did see that she had died. How wonderful to have such a long life. Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was very into healthy eating way before it was popular. She didn't drink or smoke. She was a Christian Scientist.

      Delete