Sunday, January 13, 2019

When You Don't Drink



I read an article today in The Guardian about how many of today's young people today are making the decision not to drink. It's called, "Time, please: is drinking becoming as socially unacceptable as smoking?" I perked up, as my lifestyle choice not to drink has made several people angry and defensive. Even at age 54, there can be a lot of pressure at social functions to have a glass of wine or a cocktail.

On a recent cruise, I ordered a virgin strawberry daiquiri while others were getting margaritas to enjoy with our Mexican dinner. One of the men I had just met, and really liked, made fun of me for it. "Shirley Temple?" he mocked. I told him enthusiastically after a swallow how delicious it was. It was served in a huge glass, was a gorgeous shade of red, and topped with a generous helping of whipped cream. I ate and drank so many things on that cruise that I normally don't. It was a decadent time, and a  fun and exciting experience. Still, it bothered me that he had to make a crack about the fact that I don't drink. Having someone point it out in public makes you feel uncomfortable and bullied. I smiled and gulped down my fruity concoction.

While attending a reunion for one of the shows I did, one of the men asked me what I was drinking. "Oh, I don't drink," I answered, without thinking. I didn't mean it in a rude way, I just didn't know what to order. "She doesn't drink," he repeated to his friend, angrily.  His voice was rising. He said it to a man that I used to date. It was very uncomfortable, and I felt put on the spot. "Well I could have a coffee..." I suggested, trying to keep the conversation light and pleasant. These were two guys that I really like, and spent a lot of time with when I was young, but the tension was instantly intense. I thought it was strange, because just a few minutes earlier we had been having such a great time together.

A couple of women I know from a craft group looked at me recently and announced, "We like to party." When I saw the hatred and malice in their eyes, I immediately fled. It was a challenge.  I didn't expect it; I was just knitting. "Here we go again," I thought.  They are in their seventies and eighties. I have never been a partier. I love to see my friends, and enjoy going out to a nice dinner, but am not one to stay up all night, making noise, getting drunk, stoned, or wasted. I've never understood that behavior. I love a scrumptious meal, dessert, and great company, but I have always stayed sober. For whatever reason,  this seems to enrage certain people. These two women, in particular, were applying pressure.  I guess it's a choice that threatens some people. Have you ever been ostracized by your decision not to drink or do drugs?

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.      

20 comments:

  1. Very good question! I believe in moderation in everything. I don't drink but I don't mind drinking...I just don't like the taste. I'd rather have a sweet drink like you had! I think wine goes well with certain meals, but a glass of water is fine too!

    I don't really care to spend the extra money that alcoholic drinks cost.
    It must be hard if you are around people who live their lives different in that respect. I remember attending a college weekend function for parents and each get-together had drinks. Another mom and I felt uneasy and went back to our lodging for the night and called it a night. That did not fit into my lifestyle!
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, I'm big on moderation, too. And yes, drinks are expensive. I loved being at this party. The drinking didn't bother me at all...I just didn't want alcohol. I ordered a cranberry orange juice. I think maybe people feel rejected if they offer to buy you a drink. Maybe it sounded rude...I don't know.

      Delete
  2. I too don't drink Stephenie. Fortunately, I've never felt any pressure to drink. People even assume that I'm vegetarian. :)
    Some don't know how to have fun without drinking. I don't understand that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone thinks I'm a vegetarian, too, Nil. That's great that you don't feel any pressure to drink. I think it's more common in show business circles. In some job situations, it's expected.

      Delete
  3. Yes! Micah and I have had similar experiences. We’ve had a 100% alcohol free home (and lifestyle) our entire married life. He jokes that it’s the reason we don’t have any friends. Haha! We both grew up in alcohol free homes so it just feels normal to us. But we’ve been caught in awkward situations like you described. Your response to that man was perfect. Smile and keep drinking your virgin drink. I love it. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney. I think a lot of it does go back to the home. People tend to do what their parents did.

      Delete
  4. I do drink, but not very often these days, only on occasions and sometimes a shot or small tipple on a cold Winters evening, but I could live without it, you can have a good time without be fuelled by alcohol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Living Simply. It's never been part of my lifestyle. I did enjoy a wine cooler in the evening with my ex boyfriend, but can take it or leave it.

      Delete
  5. I so understand where you are coming from. My friends and I go out for a meal once a month and none of us drink. Other people clearly think we must be really boring and stuffy... not at all. We just don't need alcohol to enjoy one another's company. That isn't to say that I don't enjoy a drink with my husband now and then but am equally happy to have a blackcurrant and soda when out with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds delicious, Cherie. They have some amazingly delicious non alcoholic, fruity drinks now.

      Delete
  6. I am appalled that you felt in the least bit intimidated and bullied in the situations you describe. The fact that you don't drink is your own decision to make! I do enjoy a glass of wine but don't drink to excess; one glass occasionally with a meal is all I desire. If I'm ever pressured to take a drink I just say "not right now, thank you. I'm driving/on medication" or whatever. I would accept an orange juice or a glass of lemonade or something. I just don't understand the need to get drunk to have a good time either Stephenie. Don't be bullied x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't tolerate abuse, Pensive Pensioner. It was a good lesson. Lifestyle choices really affect people's health and spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Doesn't it seem that there are more people who feel they have the right to challenge others in public situations? People have just gotten ruder and ruder. I do enjoy a cocktail and glass of wine, but am not a heavy drinker by any means. I cannot overindulge because I get very ill if I drink more than a bit (I learned this the hard way in my youth and had to relive the lesson more times that I care to admit).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's, true, Anita. It is rude. I think it's great that you enjoy a cocktail. Some people thrive on conflict. I'm not interested.

      Delete
  9. I choose not to drink alcohol either, Stephenie. I see or hear sometimes about the harm drinking to excess can do and choose to have fun without it. It's a personal choice that others should respect. Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Meg. I agree. Unfortunately, some people view it as a threat. Oh well...

      Delete
  10. i stopped drinking when my kids were young, found my sisters old babysitter & rang her up & she was lovely & chatted to me a fair bit & told me stories about my parents that put me in shock (domestic violence) I didn't want to face it earlier in my drinking youth as like all young, we never think it will happen to us, but i discovered I was domestic violent, sat me back on my haunches & I decided to stop then & there; it was hard as I had alcoholic neighbours who loved their parties too. it was country living for us after that...
    had a few old friends who queried the no drinking but i was never bullied or pressured plus they were happy to buy me a soda squash or whatever
    these days i don't go near pubs if i can help it; am just pleased i was able to break the cycle.
    thought provoking post
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on breaking the cycle of abuse, Selina. Those types of people make me sick to my stomach. The body always knows the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you. Drinking or not is a personal choice and should be respected. I can't stand drunkedness, it really puts me off (though I don't show it). I can have a glass of wine once in a blue moon, but usually alone, and because I enjoy it. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel the same way, Pam. Thanks for reading and commenting.

    ReplyDelete