Sunday, January 27, 2019

Travel Insurance Has Already Come In Handy



I recently received a phone call from my travel agent, and she sounded stressed.  She asked me if I had seen on the news that the airline I have my vacation booked with may be going bankrupt. I told her that I had no idea. I assumed that since I had purchased my ticket through her travel agency, their  insurance would cover any problems. She called her supervisor, and he answered that  they were not responsible.  I began to get nervous.

Fortunately, I had purchased travel insurance from  insuremytrip.com I bought it right after booking the cruise. I called the agent, and he explained that  the policy I selected with Nationwide does cover an incident like this one. Phew! I had found an excellent fare on a nonrefundable airline ticket a year before my departure.

The man I spoke with told me, "If the airline provides alternate transportation, we'd like you to use it. If not, we will pay for changes to your ticket." I was so relieved. I don't use credit cards, so I didn't have the travel insurance that some of them provide. Not all of the policies have this clause, but mine did, thankfully.

The insurance I selected is designed for cruises. The rates are reasonable, and it is so worth the peace of mind. I will keep an eye on this airline, and see what happens with them in the future. It also made me feel relieved that I had booked a hotel room for the first night, electing to arrive the day before the ship leaves. You just never know what kind of delays you might encounter.  As a professional dancer, certain days were designated as "travel days". I still think that way. The company manager always had us leave several hours early, in case there were any unexpected problems.

Thank you for your comments. They add so much talent and energy to the blog. Please comment in English. I'm sorry, but comments with links will not be published. If you enjoy the posts here, please share them.      

10 comments:

  1. Insurance is a necessary evil. I do feel that you habe to jump through hoops to get what is rightfully yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tania, Yes, I have been very thankful for my insurance benefits in the past. (Especially as I get older.)

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness for your insurance. It always pays to get good cover.
    I've only just discovered your lovely blog so I'm going to have a little look back at some of your previous posts. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jules! Yes, it's totally worth it. Thank you for the kind comment. I am so glad you are enjoying my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! You were smart, and it seems their customer service is very good! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. It was a relief to be prepared. I am a big believer in insurance.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you had travel insurance. I hope you will be able to book with a different airline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nil, If they are still flying, I will be happy to fly with them, since it's a nonstop flight. If not, I'm sure the alternative transportation will be fine. My flight home I booked through NCL.

      Delete
  6. Thank goodness for that insurance. Our travel agent, who is my neighbor and a very dear friend, always recommends it. We are booked for a cruise in October 2020 and have insurance only for the deposit so far. As we pay up we will be able to increase the insurance to match the money outlay. I hope your airline does not fold and the trip goes off as smoothly as possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anita, Yes, it is so important. I think it will all work out fine. They may still be in business, or another airline could buy the company.

      Delete